Lead Butcher and Processing Manager NW Washington State
- Date Posted December 03, 2021
- Location Bellingham, WA
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Full-Time
Our organization is a farmer-owned, meat processing cooperative located in the North Puget Sound region of Northwest Washington State. Our mission is to provide high quality USDA inspected processing services with our Mobile Processing Unit for both on and off farm slaughter - with a variety of wrap options and value-added services. We operate a retail farm store in Bellingham and a wholesale, branded meat program that provides sales opportunities for our members and customers. Our new processing facility is currently under renovation, in order to offer expanded scheduling opportunities, value added services and customizable options for our members.Job description
Title: Lead Butcher and Processing Manager
Starting Wage - $60,000 - $68,000 yr DOE
Hours - Full time
Benefits - Bonuses awarded for high level margin and quota performance
Degree - High School Diploma or equivalent. A CDL is preferred.
As part of this new phase of development, we are looking for a skilled and motivated team leader to manage our Livestock Harvest and Processing Services. The right candidate will manage these aspects of the organization, under the guidance of the Board of Directors. These duties will include:
- Management of livestock aggregation and processing - including site and facility setup, humane dispatch, slaughter, cutting and wrapping to spec.
- Performing value added services - including smoking, curing and sausage making
- Model and maintain safe food handling techniques, from processing to packaging, storage, loading and distribution - of self and all facility staff.
- Staff oversight - including scheduling, training, performance evaluation and hiring in collaboration with the board of directors.
- Adhere to all state and local health code requirements - including attentive management of all record-keeping for food safety, financial and inventory management.
- Develop and maintain strategies for expected margin and profit oversight.
- Adhere to company policies and standard operating procedures.
- Cultivate and maintain a safe, friendly, professional and communicative work environment for staff, members, leadership, customers and community stakeholders.
- Model and provide excellent, professional customer service to members and customers.
- Work with board leadership to accurately maintain and report financial reports and projections.
- Maintain inventory records and submit orders for approval
- Work with the Board of Directors to project budgets, and adhere to them
- Perform other duties as dictated by the role
- High school diploma required, CDL preferred
- Journey level meat cutter; extensive experience in all aspects of retail meat operations including product knowledge, ordering, processing, merchandising and sanitation.
- Ability to stun, bleed and break carcasses
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to manage self and others’ time effectively
- Knowledge of accounting and inventorying procedures; ability to apply this knowledge to meet set standards of performance
- Excellent leadership, teambuilding, problem solving and communication skills
- Computer knowledge and skills including Microsoft Office products and file management
- Valid Driver's License, and the ability to get to separate facility locations as needed.
- Must be able to meet physical demands of position including standing, bending, twisting, repetitive motion and lifting up to 50 LBS
- Collaborate and communicate respectfully and effectively
- Demonstrate respect for the animals and their owners at all times - even if during stressful situations
- Focus on providing a safe, high quality product at every stage of production