Butchers Apprentice- Paid Training NW Washington
- Date Posted December 03, 2021
- Location Bellingham, WA
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Full-Time
Our organization is a farmer-owned, meat processing cooperative located in the North Puget Sound region. Our mission is to provide high quality USDA inspected processing services with a Mobile Processing Unit for both on and off farm slaughter - with a variety of wrap options and value-added services. We operate a retail farm store in Bellingham and a wholesale, branded meat program that provides sales opportunities for our members and customers. Our new processing facility is currently under renovation, in order to offer expanded scheduling opportunities, value added services and customizable options for our members. As part of this new phase of development, we are looking for a skilled and motivated Butcher’s Apprentice to help with our Livestock Harvest and Processing Business.Internship description
Title: Butcher’s Apprentice
Starting Wage - $16-20 hourly for training period. ($55,000 salaried after completion)
Hours - Full time
Benefits - Bonuses awarded for high level performance. Paid Training Provided- includes college certificate award and license from Washington State
Degree - High School Diploma or equivalent.
The right candidate will be involved with many aspects of our operation, including:
- Support the Lead Butcher and Operations Manager with activities pertaining to livestock aggregation and processing - including site and facility setup, knocking, cutting and wrapping to spec.
- Setup and cleanup of processing operations facilities
- Managing Value Added products and services - including smoking, curing, grinding and specialty product development
- Model and maintain safe food handling techniques, from processing to packaging, storage, loading and distribution.
- Adhere to all state and local health code requirements - including record-keeping support when asked - for food safety and inventory management.
- Adhere to company policies and standard operating procedures.
- Help to uphold a safe, friendly, professional and communicative work environment for staff, members, leadership, customers and community stakeholders.
- Model and provide excellent, professional customer service to members and customers.
- Helping to recognize, develop and implement growth strategies
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Some experience as a meat cutter or in retail meat operations including product knowledge, ordering, processing, merchandising and sanitation.
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Ability to work alone at times, and manage time effectively
- Ability to take direction and follow task lists accurately; with the ability to communicate back barriers or other relevant information.
- Adaptable to change, with problem- solving and stress management skills
- Some computer knowledge and skills including Microsoft Office products and file management. Some interest in social media is a benefit.
- Valid Driver's License, and the ability to get to separate facility locations as needed.
- Must be able to meet physical demands of position including standing, bending, twisting, repetitive motion and lifting up to 50 LBS
- Proven ability to provide excellent, professional customer service
- Collaborate and communicate respectfully and effectively
- Demonstrate respect for the animals and their owners at all times - even if during stressful situations
- Focus on providing a safe, high quality product at every stage of production