Bread and Pastry Production Manager Mel the Bakery
- Date Posted January 17, 2022
- Location New York, NY
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Mel is a small bakery focused on serving its neighborhood and community first. Offering a variety of hearth sourdough breads and pastry, Mel thoughtfully sources our grain from organic local and regional farms. All bread and pastry is handmade with respect and appreciation for the timeless craft. We offer a rotating selection of naturally leavened sourdough bread, pastry, coffee, and light fare.
From wheat-berry to loaf, fresh grain is not only more nutritious, but can also positively impact our greater agricultural economy. All of our rye, einkorn, Hard red whole wheat, buckwheat, barley, and sorghum flour are milled fresh in house to enhance fermentation and flavor in our dough. As our operation grows, our in-house milling program will as well. At Mel we know that good grain makes great bread and pastry, and this knowledge is fundamental to all of our practices.Job description I am looking for a passionate, diversely experienced pastry and bread production manager to join our small staff. +5 years of professional pastry and/or baking experience. At least 2 years of professional bread baking experience.
- Responsible for working closely with the team in executing Mel's retail and wholesale bread and pastry production
- Must have experience working with both high hydration sourdough bread as well as laminated doughs and pastry.
- Basic knowledge of culinary and baking techniques.
- Responsible and highly organized with excellent communication skills.
- Dynamic personality with highly developed problem solving skills who remains calm and demonstrates emotional maturity under pressure.
- Assisting Head baker in all ordering as well as staff scheduling.
- Basic food safety knowledge required. You should be comfortable directing staff in proper handling procedures to ensure the cleanliness of the property and the quality of all of Mel's products. Must be in possession of an NYC DOH Food Handler's license. Also must be prepared to help maintain current COVID-15 precautions and safety measures such as proper mask wearing, employee temperature screening, and increased cleaning.
- Ability to work holidays and weekends.
- Ability to work on your feet for a full shift.
- Ability to lift 50+lbs during an 8-hour shift.
- Pay dependent on experience.