Part-Time Packer Square Roots
- Date Posted January 19, 2022
- Location Wyoming, MI, MI
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Part-Time
About Square Roots
Square Roots is the technology leader in indoor farming. We create meaningful jobs in modern farming, empowering a new generation of leaders in agriculture. With production farms in Brooklyn, NY, Kenosha, WI, and Grand Rapids, MI (with more to come in 2022!), Square Roots is on a mission to responsibly bring our locally grown food to people in cities around the world, all year round.
The way we operate our business and operate our farms is better for local communities. Everyone on the Square Roots team—from farmers to engineers, commercial experts to operations specialists—is supported, connected, and empowered to do their best work to help Square Roots achieve its goals as a company.
About the Role
We are looking for a hardworking, dedicated individual to join our farm team as a Part-Time Packer at our Grand Rapids farm campus. The Part-Time Packer will be responsible for packaging produce while adhering to quality control and efficiency standards. This role reports directly to the Farm Manager and works in collaboration with the rest of the Farm Team and with our Sales & Logistics team.
This is a hands-on role requiring an individual that is willing to roll up their sleeves, comply with proper food safety practices, and maintain a positive attitude in the work environment. Past experience in the agriculture or food industries is a plus but not required.
Part-Time Packers report to our Grand Rapids farm campus 4 days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday) at 8:30am. Compensation includes living-wage indexed hourly pay, a cell phone stipend, free herbs and greens, and the opportunity to be part of the Square Roots mission.
- Quickly and efficiently pack produce into Square Roots packaging for our retail customers
- Apply labels to Square Roots packaging for upcoming packing tasks
- Ensure labels and QR codes are accurate for packed produce
- Adhere to all Square Roots standards for quality, food safety, and compliance
- Communicate any issues with product or packaging quality with managers immediately
- Maintain and update accurate records for all packing and labeling tasks
- Keep all packing and labeling equipment and areas clean, organized, and food-safe at all times
- Assisting in production by helping with preparation tasks
You have experience with:
- 1-2 years general work experience; you know how to show up and get things done
- Working in food production, grocery, or produce environment a plus
- Food Handler's certification a plus
- Comfortable with repetitive tasks, standing for 6-8 hours, and able to lift 40lbs
- Available to work Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm
- Able to commute to our farm campus in Wyoming, MI for work
- Organized and detail-oriented, able to see the task through to completion, and finds satisfaction in a job well done
- A punctual, dedicated, and dependable team player with a positive attitude
- A proactive, clear communicator with managers and coworkers
- Passionate about real, local food
You'll love working at Square Roots because:
- We're here to change the food system. You'll have the opportunity to play a significant role in our work at the intersection of technology, farming, and the global food industry - and we're only just getting started.
- Our team is driven by a shared set of values. These keep us aligned and remind us how to show up every day in the face of growth and ambiguity. Whether you’re working remotely or on the farms, collaboration, respect, optimism and humility are all embraced, and we seek to empower people at every step. Ask us about the rest!
Effective October 18, 2021, new employees are required to be fully vaccinated prior to their start date. Fully vaccinated at this time is defined as 2 shots of MRNA vaccine + 2 weeks out, or 1 shot of J&J vaccine and 2 weeks out. As federal guidance on booster shots evolves, the definition of ‘fully vaccinated’ may change. Proof of vaccination is required during the hiring process.
In accordance with EEOC guidance, if you are not vaccinated or do not intend to be due to medical reasons or deeply held religious beliefs, you may make an accommodation request and Square Roots will make a reasonable effort to accommodate you, subject to the requirements of the role you are applying for.
Failure to be fully vaccinated by start date without a documented accommodation will result in offer rescindment or termination.Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions