Cheesemonger Murray's Cheese +2 more
- Date Posted January 20, 2022
- Location Long Island City, NY
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
At Murray’s, we are cheese experts and enthusiasts who make, source, sell and serve exceptional cheese and specialty foods nationwide.
Born in Greenwich Village, the heart of our business still resides in New York City with many ways to experience Murray’s Cheese locally. At the counter, our cheese experts and mongers serve thousands of neighborhood regulars, commuters and tourists alike every year at our three locations –the Bleecker Street flagship retail experience, a beloved neighborhood fixture, our shop in Grand Central Terminal, and our new location in Long Island City.
For dining out, we operate two New York City restaurants: Murray’s Mac & Cheese, with fast casual fare, and Murray’s Cheese Bar, a sit-down restaurant featuring cheese flights and dishes by expert mongers and seasoned chefs. Our Murray’s Cheese Bar location opened in Spring 2020, moving to it’s new home in Long Island City.
For those eager to learn more, we offer robust education and events programming and, for those looking to serve more, we provide catering of expertly-crafted cheese boards and freshly-made foods. Oh, did we mention we also age our own cheese? Yeah –we do that too. We have state-of-the-art cheese caves in Long Island City.
But, because we like to share, we wanted to bring our exceptional cheese to people outside of New York too. So, we’ve made Murray’s products available online at murrayscheese.com and in-store with a curated selection of specialty cheese in more than 800 Kroger and Kroger-owned stores nationwide (and, growing every day!). And, through our wholesale business, you might enjoy Murray’s cheese at more than 600 restaurants across the country.Job description Position Summary
The main thing that makes Murray’s special is our passion for cheese. We love to share that with our friends and customers! As a Murray’s Cheesemonger, you campaign for some of the best cheeses in the world. You are constantly tasting and learning about new products and pairings in order to assist customers with their cheese needs. This role works closely with other mongers to have fun and keep the shop tidy. This is a place to learn and eat more cheese than you thought possible.
Who You Are
- Goal-Oriented: You never miss your shot when given a target. You are self-motivated to drive results and do better tomorrow than you did today.
- Great Communicator: You can strike up a conversation with anyone in your vicinity and can build long-lasting relationships over something as simple as a good cheddar cheese. You are a great listener and can vary your communication with a customer to suit the circumstances.
What You Do
- Customer Service: You’re great at making customers laugh and selling lots of cheese. From your own experience, you are able to educate your customers about cheese, charcuterie, and pairings.
- Cut the Cheese: You will spend your time on your feet behind the counter, cutting cheeses and slicing meats for customers and displays. You will keep the cheese cases well-stocked and clean, keeping the products in proper rotation.
What We Need From You
- Experience selling cheese in a retail environment
- A sincere passion for all things cheesy
- Evening/weekend and holiday availability
- High school diploma or equivalent
- A sense of humor
- NYC Food Handler’s Certification or ServSafe Certification preferred
- Weekly pay
- 3 weeks paid vacation and sick time
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Company 401k match
- LTD and Life Insurance options
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Discounts on our products and restaurant!Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions