FARM CREW / MANAGER PINEWOOD SPRINGS FARM
- Date Posted January 21, 2022
- Location Stockbridge, GA
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
Pinewood Springs Farm embraces diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, and strongly encourages people of color, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people from other underrepresented groups to apply.
Join us at Pinewood Springs Farm! Located in Rockdale County 30 minutes outside of Atlanta Georgia, we grow 5 acres of mixed certified naturally grown fruit, vegetables and cut flowers on our 43-acre home farm, and care for 300+ laying hens. We are proud to be a diversified market farm, providing fresh produce every week to families, farmers markets and restaurants in our region.
Pinewood Springs Farm is a fun, fast-paced work environment where we champion great ideas, hard work, common sense and cooperation. Each day we work towards improving our methods, expanding our knowledge base, and becoming a better all-around farm. We simultaneously promote efficiency and the production of high quality food in the fields alongside a celebration of kindness and collaboration among the crew, and openness and outreach to the community.
The physical nature of the work is both challenging and rewarding, as is the considerable time we farmers spend interacting with the public both on and off the farm. The entire Pinewood Springs Farm team at the height of the season consists of about 10 people including not only farmers but also educators, retail market staff, and staff charged with the creation of new value-added products. The crew typically is made up by first and multi-year Crew Members, a Farm Manager, a Crew Manager and part-time summer help. Job description Pinewood Springs Farm is seeking an experienced and energetic candidate for the Crew Manager position. The Crew Manager is an essential part of our core management team and is expected to think and work like a professional, which includes the ability to identify and carry out big-picture projects, communicate clearly and confidently with other managers, maintain an upbeat attitude, and to operate with autonomy.
The Crew Manager coordinates with the Farm Manager to develop the farm’s daily plan and priorities and is responsible for implementing the day’s worklist by participating in field work while directly supervising first and second year apprentices and crew members (regularly 8-10 people with additional part-time summer help). The Crew Manager will ensure that all tasks are completed correctly, efficiently, and safely while maintaining a positive work environment for crew members. Ideal candidates for this position will be motivated to participate in hands-on daily field work alongside new and learning farmers, and will both lead by example in pace-setting and quality of work while also providing verbal instruction, encouragement, and constructive feedback to crew members.
This position requires practical knowledge and experience in vegetable production to actively participate in goal-setting and prioritization in the context of both whole-season planning and daily execution. The Crew Manager must have consistent attention to detail and strong independent decision-making capabilities while remaining flexible and adaptable to changing situations. An ideal candidate should have excellent communication skills and be comfortable holding a group accountable to efficiency and quality standards and working on or around medium sized farm equipment. The field work is physically demanding and requires someone who is motivated, has a good attitude, can tolerate working in inclement weather, and is able to lift at least 50-lbs at a time.
The Crew Manager is responsible for:
- Planning and coordination in off-hours prior to and following the work day to set daily as well as big picture goals and priorities
- Leading and motivating the crew through daily field work including seeding, transplanting, trellising, hand weeding, greenhouse work, harvest, and other field projects
- Ensuring tasks are completed correctly, efficiently, and safely with attention to detail and quality standards. This includes training crew members in proper techniques and providing constructive feedback to improve crew performance as well as managing transitions between projects to maintain a good workflow and pace throughout the day
- Maintaining a good attitude and contributing to positive team morale
- Communicating crop conditions, abundance or scarcity to the farm manager, helping scout for pests, diseases or other problems encountered during daily harvests
- Operating tractors, trucks, and other farm equipment
- Keeping the farm running smoothly in the absence of other farm managers, which includes independent decision-making and time good time management
This is a salaried position.
- Overtime (hours in excess of 40 hours per week) will be compensated as paid time off and can be accrued throughout the season
- Employees are allowed to take up to one full CSA share worth of vegetables each week, a $40 weekly share from the farm
- Five days vacation after 6 months full time employment