Victory Programs has helped individuals and families in crisis for 45 years. Thousands turn to us yearly for shelter, sustenance, recovery, care, and professional, compassionate support. Most struggle with homelessness, substance use and mental health, and many live with HIV/AIDS. Our team of more than 200 staff across 19 programs works with people to develop and execute creative, safe solutions to the very real challenges our clients face.
Located in Dorchester, Revision Urban Farm harvests fresh produce for distribution to the community through our Farm Stand, Community Supported Agriculture programs, local farmer's markets and to residents of Victory Programs shelter programs.
The Assistant Grower/Farm Laborer is responsible for assisting the farm team with the daily upkeep and development of the Urban Farm, The Assistant Grower/Farm Laborer reports directly to the Farm Manager.
Brief descriptions of the essential functions:
- Assists the Farm Team in the daily operations of Revision Urban Farm, as well as administrative tasks, farm planning. and recordkeeping.
- Plants, tends, and harvests field and greenhouse crops, adhering to organic and sustainable farming practices as directed.
- Is responsible for weekend farmers market including but not limited to packing, setup at market and brake down, as well as transporting produce to wholesale customers.
- Support with the recruitment and scheduling of volunteers for the Revision Urban Farm, collect data and supervise volunteers and outside groups, youth employees and job trainees.
- Assists in weekly CSA production and delivery.
- Assists in ordering and pick up of farm supplies.
- Conduct workshops and other educational opportunities both on-site and in the community in concert with the farm team. Support the farm team with posting and updating the farms social media accounts.
- Assist in teaching farm curriculum including basic farming techniques and terminology.
- Participates in and is engaged in outreach efforts with the community. .
- Works in multi-disciplinary team approach with case managers and other social services departments of the shelter to enhance training for job readiness program participants.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Ability to work well in a fast pace environment and be self-motivated when working independently.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience and/or course work in agricultural production and sales
- Commitment to addressing food access and development of urban agriculture s
- Must be 25 years of age and have a valid MA driver’s license with a driving record point rating of 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, or 03.
- Strong written and verbal skills required.
- Basic computer skills
- Previous experience working with homeless adults, substance abusers, or the mentally ill preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish, Creole, or Vietnamese preferred but not required.
- Able to lift 50 lbs. Job is physically demanding. Must be able to work outside in variable weather conditions including high temperatures and extreme weather.
- Must take and pass pre-physical exam scheduled by agency prior to hire.
- Carpentry skills helpful.
- Must be available for evening and weekend hours year-round as directed.
- Current TB assessment, First Aid and CPR certifications.
*** Victory Programs requires all employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19. Individuals may request exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons.
- 40 hours/ week; Wednesday – Sunday in season. (May-November); flexibility in schedule during off season.
this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr
This job expired on April 29, 2022