Beverage Manager/Sommelier Woodberry Kitchen +12 more
- Date Posted September 23, 2022
- Location Baltimore, MD
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Woodberry Kitchen is looking for a talented, motivated professional to manage its beverage operations during an exciting new chapter.
After renovations, the renowned Baltimore restaurant is opening during fall 2022 for both regular dining in the Tavern and as a top-tier Events venue. The beverage manager will implement and oversee both an innovative bar program in the Tavern and beverage service for frequent weddings and other occasions. You will be responsible for driving sales and ensuring the beverage program’s overall success, while maintaining a presence in day-to-day operations.
The right person will also be an ambassador for our approach to food and beverage. Woodberry Kitchen prioritizes environmental and community impact by sourcing the region’s freshest seasonal produce, fish and shellfish from the Chesapeake Bay, and regenerative meats, ensuring our cuisine celebrates and preserves the abundance of the watershed. Our bar program operates with the same ethos by focusing on organic and biodynamic wines, grower champagnes, local beer and wine, high-quality spirits and mixers, and local fruits and botanicals.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a hard-working, empathetic team focused on excellence and impact.
- Collaborate with owner on beverage program menu development
- Ensure all beverages are prepared and served in accordance with bar and company service standards
- Maintain accuracy of menus, ensuring all versions are up to date
- Train and develop all staff on cocktail, wine, and beer menus and overall wine and beverage knowledge
- Direct the “bar mise en place” standards, implement processes that ensure consistency and standards are being followed at all times
- Ensure cleanliness standards and procedures for the bar and beverage teams and that their areas are in accordance with health and safety standards
- Oversee weekly ordering and stocking in line with beverage costs and budgets
- Manage glassware use, standards, stock, and breakage levels
- Manage the bar team, including helping with recruitment, maintaining weekly schedules in line with labor costs, and motivating, supporting, and directing members, with clarity and empathy
- Communicate effectively with guests about wine and other aspects of the beverage program in the Tavern and at events
- Understand and execute against financial targets
- 5+ years of experience in beverage service, preferably in a fine dining environment
- Strong knowledge of spirits, cocktail development, and craft beer
- Strong wine knowledge, sommelier certification preferred
- Experience with organic/biodynamic wine and utilizing local bar ingredients preferred
- Experience managing a team
- Ability to work independently and proactively, with limited supervision
- Friendly, professional demeanor with guests
- Organized, with ability to multi-task and effectively plan and prioritize work
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline