Administrative Assistant Farfields Farm
- Date Posted September 22, 2022
- Location Afton, VA
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
TITLE: Administrative Assistant to Farm Director
REPORTS TO: Farm Director
Location(s): Farfields Farm Afton, VA
Start Date: Oct 1, 2022
On-site position with flexible off-site work hours
Position Summary: The Administrative Assistant to the Farm Director works closely with the Farm Director to ensure that systems operate in a clear, organized manner. The focus of the position will be on managing the administrative work and communications of the Director’s office in a way that maximizes efficiency and empowers the Director to devote greater time and attention to design, education, and long-term strategic decision-making. The Assistant’s workflow will revolve around stewarding the flow of information, ongoing clarification of matters arising, executing secretarial systems, running diverse errands, and gathering/relaying necessary information amongst staff to advance operational progress. This position will interface extensively with the farm’s General Manager and the wider departmental leadership cohort, thereby extending the reach of the Director’s ability to support the ongoing growth of the farm.
Summary of Required Competencies:
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills and time management skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and actions at once
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills
- Solution oriented with proactive problem solving thinking
- Fluent with Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, etc, as well as administrative platforms, infographics, etc
- Ability to work diligently with minimal supervision
- Positive attitude and willingness to be flexible in a dynamic farm work environment
- Professionally minded – must be capable of protecting privacy and sensitive information.
- Familiarity and strong interest in organic agriculture, land management/interface, etc; Must have level of eco-literacy to be able to navigate through work-related context.
- Previous experience with operational dynamics, HR, schedule management, staff culture, etc desired.
Summary of Primary Responsibilities
- Work closely with Director to ensure clear, organized administrative systems:
- Regular communication with Director (in-person meetings; email, text), both scheduled & impromptu.
- Oversee Director’s calendar (block-scheduling, work meetings, etc)
- Track & update farm-wide project/task related timeline (annual, seasonal)
- Manage priority responses and scheduling based on matters arising and protracted timeline/goals
- Help discern arising farm needs and help delegate to appropriate staff
- Perform research and project-related purchasing as requested by Director
- Assist with agenda setting for Directors’ meetings; assist with preparation of meeting documents
- Attend selected meetings with Director as requested, to take notes and provide support
- Manage all-staff announcements/updates from Director
- Serve as a sound board for decision making
- Complete and update farm Safety Manual as needed to ensure OSHA compliance
- Act as a liaison between staff and director to ensure that needs are met in a timely manner:
- Review departmental reporting to stay abreast of farm happenings and department needs that relate to the Director – as well as to ensure reports include necessary content.
- Check in with department managers and ensure key communications are relayed between both Director and Managers.
- Ongoing collation of departmental project proposals, budgets, approval requests
- General Administrative Oversight:
- Coordinate schedule and submittal of departmental reporting (weekly, annual, etc)
- Oversee schedule and submittal of farm related certifications and memberships (OEFFA, etc)
- Be responsible for office phone - answering calls, checking messages and passing along information to relevant parties
- Coordinate communications and schedule with project-related contractors
- Monitor package delivery area, label packages, and notify staff to prevent congestion
- Update and post vehicle sign-out calendars
Compensation & Benefits:
- Full-time, salaried position at 45k-55k DOE
- PTO, paid holidays, and bonuses after 90 day trial period
- Some flexibility for remote work (1-2 days/week)
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline