Field Scout and Agronomist Assistant Harvest Group LLC
- Date Posted September 24, 2022
- Location Foley, AL
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Full-Time
We believe we can co-create an ecosystem of businesses that enable an entire bioregion to thrive, restoring balance to Nature, nourishing hungry people, and generating improved conditions for future generations.
Our team is actively launching a regenerative-food-focused business ecosystem in the heart of the black belt agriculture region in South Alabama & Georgia. Our future businesses are organizing now (branding tbd) with the aim to co-create a "living, evolving and naturally functioning organization where abundance and resilience are recurring outcomes of its underlying health.”Job description
Job Title: Field Scout and Agronomy Assistant
Seeking principled professionals with a strong commitment to regenerative ag principles, a passion for learning, and the desire to assist growers through honesty and service. Field Scout must be aligned with our mission of removing barriers to enable and encourage adoption of regenerative and organic practices in the South East. This is an introductory position with opportunity for extensive education, experience, and promotion into other agronomic roles if desired.
Benefits: 401(k) + Company Vehicle provided + Computer + Health Ins. After 90 days + 1 week Paid Vacation after 1 year + Travel Expenses
- Degree in relevant position (entomology, plant pathology, agronomy) preferred; but not required
- Previous scouting experience preferred but not required - Employer will train
- Ability to work directly with growers in a professional and supportive manner
- Digital platform proficient with ability to quickly learn technology like handheld scouting devices and mapping software
- Organizational skills and attention to detail for accurate sampling and reporting.
- Basic math skills and the ability to maintain accurate counts.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions, with early morning hours required
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. Repeatedly
- Knowledge and/or experience with agricultural operations a plus
- Experience operating farm/ outdoor equipment a plus
- Strict attention and obedience to safety protocols
- Valid driver's license and ability to travel extensively
- Currently residing in Alabama or willing to relocate
- Alignment with company mission and values
The Field Scout/ Agronomy Assistant enables healthy crop development by providing the scouting, sampling, and data collection needed to make informed growing decisions. Individual will receive direction from Agronomy Director and Sales Consultants to schedule, conduct, and report on daily field observations at numerous farms in Alabama and the South East. Prepare and install traps in the field. Inspect, monitor, and report on insect and disease metrics. Sample and report on yield estimates and fertility issues. Collect, log, and ship soil and sap samples. Monitor and maintain information collection devices like soil moisture meters and weather stations. Use GPS technology to map fields, and participate in field records systems. Assist with delivery of small-volume materials to clients. Contribute to other relevant tasks and responsibilities, as needed. Individual must love to be outdoors in field settings as their office, with daily travel and extended seasonal hours in all weather. Work days will usually be 5 a.m. to 1 p.m. and are weather/season dependent.
Compensation Plan to include:
- Base Salary of $25-45K, depending on experience
- Performance-based bonus
- Company Vehicle Provided
- Travel Expense Paid/Reimbursed
- Health Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement
- Computer /Equipment Provided
- Paid Vacation, Holidays and Sick Leave