Commissary Kitchen - Lead Cook Grand Central Bakery +1 more
- Date Posted November 18, 2022
- Location Portland, OR
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Looking for a change of pace from the traditional restaurant kitchen? Do you have a knack for motivating others and want to hone your leadership skills?
Grand Central Bakery is looking for an experienced Lead Cook to join our Commissary Kitchen team! The Commissary Kitchen is a production kitchen that prepares local and sustainable menu items from scratch for Grand Central Bakery Retail Cafes. This position comes with great daytime hours, a consistent schedule, and excellent benefits.
The Lead Cook oversees daily and weekly production schedules, shift coverage, ordering, inventory management, recipe scaling, processing of requisitions, and labor and food cost reporting. The Lead Cook is the trainer on all stations and actively coaches kitchen staff. This position requires an attention to detail, a desire to continually improve upon one’s skills as a cook, and an ability to work cooperatively in a production level team environment.
Location: 714 N Fremont, Portland, OR 97227
Rate of Pay: This position pays $24.26 per hour.
Schedule: The Lead Cook generally works 4 to 5 shifts per week, Monday – Saturday from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm. Schedule flexibility and the ability to work weekends and holidays is required.
Grand Central Bakery acknowledges the importance of work-life balance. To the best of our ability, established days off are respected, vacation requests are accommodated to the best of our staffing abilities, and changes to the schedule are clearly communicated in advance.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Ability to read, write, and speak English required; English/Spanish bilingual preferred
- Maintains food handler’s card – new hires are expected to have a valid card by their first date of work
- Prior experience leading, training, and coaching preferred
- Basic math skills required
- Professional experience as a prep cook required
- Intermediate computer skills including use of Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word or comparable programs
- Intermediate experience with ChefTec, or other ERP systems
- Experience placing orders, signing invoices and checking in inventory required
Physical requirements include but are not limited to:
- This position works in a building shared with production facilities and is constantly exposed to wheat flour dust and other grain dusts (rye, corn, oat).
- This position walks up to the equivalent of two miles per shift. This position stands for 100% of the shift worked.
- This position works in cold environments (walk-in freezers/refrigerators).
Grand Central Bakery ignited a bread revolution in 1989 by introducing rustic artisan loaves to Northwest tables. Values are at the heart of our company and sustainability touches everything we do - from where we buy ingredients to how we care for our employees and invest in our communities. A Certified B Corporation, Grand Central Bakery is part of a global movement of organizations using business as a force for good.
Grand Central Bakery offers outstanding employee benefits as part of our total compensation package.
- Medical/dental/vision coverage
- Employer paid medical coverage at 60 days for all employees working 25+ hours per week
- Employer paid Healthcare Reimbursement Account (HRA) for insured employees
- Paid Time Off
- Vacation time
- Sick time
- Personal holiday time
- Community time
- 401k with match
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for healthcare, dependent care, and transportation
- Life/disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Reimbursement for bike commuting expenses
- Training and opportunities for growth
- Free bread!
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity and strive to create a work environment of respect, trust, collaboration, and cooperation. It is the policy of Grand Central Bakery to maintain a workplace free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, physical, sensory, or mental disability, age, marital status, military or veteran status, family relationship, your or your family’s genetic information, or status in any other legally protected group. We expect each employee to embrace and apply these principles of equal treatment to each other and to our customers.Compensation this position is : hourly, $20/hr + Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline