10 Month Assistant Farm Manager College of the Atlantic
- Date Posted November 21, 2022
- Location Bar Harbor, ME
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Full-Time
investigate—and ultimately improve—the relationships between human beings and our social
and natural communities. The human ecological perspective guides all aspects of education,
research, activism, and interactions among the college’s students, faculty, staff, and trustees.
The faculty, students, trustees, staff, and alumnx of College of the Atlantic envision a world
where people value creativity, intellectual achievement, and the diversity of nature and human
cultures. With respect and compassion, individuals will construct meaningful lives for
themselves, gain appreciation for the relationships among all forms of life, and safeguard the
heritage of future generations. Our 350 students, 35 faculty, and 75 staff members share COA’s original focus on engaged learning and community, and more than ever, we believe that an interdisciplinary, human ecological perspective is critical to addressing the world’s most pressing problems.
Peggy Rockefeller Farms (PRF) is one of two farms owned by College of The Atlantic. PRF is located in the Town of Bar Harbor, Maine. The property is a 125 acre educational farm with 45+ acres in organic and grass fed livestock production, including poultry (eggs and meat), beef, pork, and lamb. The farm has several organic enterprises certified by the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association (MOFGA). The farm serves as a living laboratory for classes, research, workshops, and other educational opportunities for students and the broader MDI community. The farm is located on Mt. Desert Island near Acadia National Park (ANP) and is under a Conservation Easement that limits use to agriculture and conservation.Job description
The Assistant Farm Manager will serve as a full-time 10 month staff member to assist in the management of Peggy Rockefeller Farms (PRF) from the start of lambing through the end of the grazing season. The assistant farm manager is responsible for overseeing a variety of aspects of managing PRF including but not limited to livestock husbandry, rotational grazing, pasture management, oversight of work study students and seasonal staff, and the maintenance of buildings, grounds, and equipment. This position reports directly to the PRF Farm Manager. In collaboration with the PRF manager, faculty and staff, the assistant manager will support expanded farm-based interdisciplinary educational opportunities for students and the implementation of a new food-purchasing plan emphasizing increased supply of farm products to the school’s dining hall. This position is benefited.
Essential Job Function
- Management of daily livestock health, nutrition, and breeding (cattle, sheep, poultry, swine) tasks in accordance with the livestock management plan.
- Pasture management via the execution of the rotational grazing and field maintenance plan.
- Farm equipment operation (loader tractors, manure spreader, mowers, rototillers, trailers).
- Supervision of work study students during academic terms, as well as seasonal staff in coordination with the farm manager.
- Poultry processing (seasonally).
- Processing, packaging and delivery of farm products to wholesale and retail accounts as assigned.
- Farm facility maintenance and repairs.
- A minimum of three years’ experience raising livestock (cattle, sheep, poultry or swine) for meat and fiber in rotational grazing systems.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in agroecology, agronomy, animal and veterinary science, horticulture, sustainable agriculture and food systems, or an equivalent degree (Preferred)
- Experience with poultry production (and processing) and the reproduction of sheep and cattle is strongly desired.