Farm Manager Earthseed Farm
- Date Posted January 05, 2023
- Location Sebastopol, CA
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
We are seeking a Farm Manager to oversee day-to-day responsibilities including: directing staff, outlining priorities, setting goals and evaluating outcomes. The candidate should be an independent, motivated self-starter who values working in a “team” setting. Formal education, technical certificate, and/or extensive work experience in the area of orchard production, or management is necessary. Education is part of the ethos at Earthseed while previous teaching experience is not mandatory, education experience is desired. This is a year-round full-time position at the farm.
EARTHseed Farm is committed to the leadership and capacity building of people of African Ancestry, as well as reclaiming earth based practices and approaches from that ancestry. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people who identify as Black or African Americans.
- Model and promote EARTHseed’s mission, vision, and core values. Earthseed Mission: Where Environmental Education Meets Ecological Design Rooted in the Wisdom of Afroindigenous Traditions.
- Manage the overall orchard operations, establish production goals and direction to meet company objectives, coordinate the harvest maturity program, provide critical information to prepare the annual post-harvest storage plan, and give input and feedback on employee and farm training materials.
- Lead the day-to-day direction of farm stewards and implementation of the orchard operations, including but not limited to orchard renewal, crop management, crop protection, pest management, irrigation, harvest timing and post-harvest strategies.
- Adept at record keeping, handling paperwork, tracking season to season & harvesting, monitor pests and diseases that affect trees and fruit. Able to interpret data and input information into Croptracker to keep accurate records, trace harvest, packing, and measure productivity. Keep meticulous records of harvest log for internal and external (CCOF) requirements.
- Helps ensure compliance for organic certification, government regulations and health and safety standards, as well as participate in yearly inspections conducted by CCOF and Sonoma County at the farm.
- Take daily or bi-weekly field walks to assess the crops and timing, quantity, and quality of harvest. Determine optimum harvest strategies and decisions that balance storage life, consumer preference with retail-marketing strategies.
- Develop relationships with wholesale partners, local stores, farms, and organizations for donations. Provide quality customer service, serve as point person for pick-ups and deliveries, greet visitors and vendors, and be the eyes and ears of the farm when the owner is not available.
- Communicate a weekly list of available varieties and case-counts for wholesale business, pack and stage cases per specifications by customer, ensure the packing slip or invoice is with the orders leaving the farm, and interact with drivers & managers regarding pick-up details.
- Maintain inventory and packing supplies, communicate with operations manager on reordering supplies, and make recommendations on packaging products.
- Serve as a leader and positive role model, interact with employees in a professional manner and strive to create a collective work environment that aligns with the philosophy of Earthseed.
- Actively develop employees skills and productivity, track employee performance and set clear and achievable goals for employees.
- Attend monthly and/or designated staff meetings and participate in strategizing best practices, ideas for growth and workflow on the farm.
- Remain current on farm industry and organic practices, and aid in planning and managing all farm activities.
Position/Time Expected Hours of Work:
Standard days and hours of work are 40 hours a week. Monday-Friday with some weekend hours (included in the 40 hours).Compensation this position is : salaried, 75k-100k Application instructions