Vegetable Farm Manager Cedar Circle Farm and Education Ctr.
- Date Posted November 22, 2022
- Location East Thetford, VT
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Full-Time
Cedar Circle Farm and Education Center is a certified organic vegetable and berry farm with a farmstand and education center. We have retail greenhouses, a farm kitchen, a coffee shop - called the Hello Cafe, and a unique CSA program.
Our organization has a deep commitment to developing regenerative agriculture practices for our annual vegetable and flower production farm and to educating consumers about the need to support farms who are committed to growing food in a manner that improves and nourishes the soil.Job description
Join the Cedar Circle team and contribute to our local food system by producing sustainably grown, organic produce on a farm that is dedicated to our natural environment, community engagement, education, research, and the well-being of our staff!
Cedar Circle Farm and Education Center is a certified organic vegetable and berry farm with a farmstand, education center, research team, cafe, commercial kitchen and retail nursery center.
Our organization has a deep commitment to developing regenerative agriculture practices for our annual vegetable and flower production farm and to educating consumers about the need to support farms that are committed to growing food in a manner that improves and nourishes the soil. We are looking for a friendly, detail-oriented team member to manage our vegetable and fruit production, collaborate on research projects, work with our partner organizations, deepen our connection to our community and contribute to the well-being of our staff and organization.
The Vegetable Production Manager leads all aspects of Cedar Circle’s farm operations with a primary focus on planning, implementing, organizing, and supervising all vegetable and fruit production work. The person in this position identifies seasonal and weekly farm priorities and develops seasonal and weekly plans to ensure field cultivation, planting, irrigation, weeding, and harvests are successfully performed throughout the growing season while keeping detailed records for both planning and farm certifications. This position also plays a critical role in facilitating effective communication throughout the farm team, building our organizational family, and collaborating on research, educational, and community-building opportunities.
Team coordination – coordinate, train and supervise daily tasks of Cedar Circle’s vegetable team, including:
- Clearly communicate and delegate weekly and daily priorities to the field team
- Train production team members in performance of all farm duties including planting, hand weeding, hoeing, harvesting, pruning, watering, etc.
- Help to establish a positive, educational and nurturing work environment for all members of the team
- Promptly address any staffing issues that may arise within the team
- Relay relevant information regarding team performance and questions to farm management
Crop Production – Oversee production in close collaboration with the farm team leads. Responsible for planning, coordinating and ensuring the completion of the following:
- Field Planting
- Ensure timely planting of field crops ensuring the health of transplants
- Coordinate the preparations of fields and beds for field planting in relation to field planting schedules and weekly workflows
- Field Cultivation
- Initial tillage and field preparation for seeding, transplanting, and cover cropping
- Weed management, both mechanical and manual.
- All hands-on aspects of season extension and pest prevention through the use of cultural, biological, and pest-deterrent practices in the field
- Harvest operations
- Schedule, train and pace crop harvest in collaboration with team leads
- perform in the field quality control of product being harvested and communicate farm quality standards to field crew
- communicate harvest nuances to field crew and management team as needed to ensure a smooth operation
- Train and ensure quality control in the Processing Area
Farm Planning and Management – In collaboration with team Leads
- Assist in establishment of weekly field production priorities and the development of weekly work schedules
- Perform regular field walks to stay in touch with needed field projects, crop growth, and plant health in coordination with team Leads and Research team
- Guide crop planning efforts and develop organization systems and documents specific to production, team management and team training
- Determine land use and crop rotation strategy in coordination with Research and Development team, Annual and Perennial team, and Director of Agriculture
- Evaluate and purchase all seed, planting stock, amendments and supplies in coordination with other team members
- Develop and revise seeding plans
- Devise nutrient management plan based on crop needs and soil tests
- With key staff (production leads), develop daily production plan and convey and answer questions concerning the daily plan at the morning meeting and to other departments as needed
- Foster strong interdepartmental relationships and provide communication channels as needed to deliver production department information to other staff as needed
Sales & Budgeting- Evaluation and planning to meet department and organizational financial goals
- Conduct audit of production by sales channels
- Compare data with five-year history to track progress
- Review and project Vegetable and Operations (as related to production needs) departmental budget needs
- Strategize farm production scale to maintain customer base, meet needs of local community and organizational financial goals
- Track and code all production inputs
- At least five seasons previous vegetable farming experience
- Small engine operation and experience operating tractors and implements
- Competence delivering clear directions to field team and project supervision experience
- At least three years experience managing a farm and production team
- Excellent time management skills
- Consistent attention to detail
- Positive, approachable interpersonal skills and passion for mentoring new farmers
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity, and give/accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Clear, consistent communication skills
- Flexible, creative and able to perform well in diverse conditions and under pressure
- Ability to work for long durations in inclement weather – standing, sitting, bending over, lifting or kneeling
- Ability to work hours in excess of 40 hours per week, especially during peak periods
- Occasional weekend hours required
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline