Head Grower Down to Earth Organics
- Date Posted December 01, 2022
- Location Foley, AL
- Category Agriculture / Production
- Job type Full-Time
We believe we can co-create an ecosystem of businesses that enable an entire bioregion to thrive, restoring balance to Nature, nourishing hungry people, and generating improved conditions for future generations.
Our team is actively launching a regenerative-food-focused business ecosystem in the heart of the black belt agriculture region in South Alabama & Georgia. Our future businesses are organizing multiple brands with the aim to co-create a "living, evolving and naturally functioning organization where abundance and resilience are recurring outcomes of its underlying health.”Job description
Job Title: Head Grower
Salary Range: $50,000 – $75,000
Benefits: Health Insurance after 90 days + One Week Paid Vacation after 1 year of employment, Paid Holidays + 401(k)
- Five years of growing experience (Preferably Organic).
- Three years supervisory experience. (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in horticulture or related field.
- Comprehensive knowledge on production of quality crops.
- Knowledge of Grains & Vegetables.
- Knowledge of biological controls and IPM programs.
- Knowledge of various environmental control systems.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Participate in acreage planning, strategy, education and resource allocation for field activities.
- Develop a cost effective, environmentally sound method of enhancing yields. Keep abreast of current agronomic practices, government agricultural programs, and environmental issues related to all phases of crop production.
- Be involved in all aspects of grower relations, including but not limited to: acreage allocations, contracts, and conflict resolution.
- Participate in strategic planning, budgetary, safety, quality, workforce issues, or other assigned task for field and contract employees.
- Complete all assigned tasks for Farm Manager and Director of Farm Operations.
- Assists in establishing and maintaining relationships with growers, contractors, and vendors. Serve as technical expert across a broad range of field activity.
- Meet targeted yields and other planning parameters agreed upon with Executive Director of Operations, Director of Farm Operations & Farm Manager.
- Works with senior staff to develop growing plan, review grower/field information and determine local acreage plans, and adjustments as plans change.
- Establish and support individual and team performance goals that are attainable and aligned with business strategy.
- Ensure timelines & productivity objectives are met. Promote health, safety, and environmentally friendly practices.
- Responsible for all crops growing within the farm operations as well as the development of people, processes, equipment, and systems in the Growing department. Success is measured through order fulfillment, quality, and customer satisfaction.
- Focus on plant quality, shrink reduction, yield improvement and order fulfillment. Lead Growing department in management, cost control, and innovation.
- Provide development and mentorship.
- Design and implement growing processes, technology solutions and techniques to improve order fulfillment and quality within budget.
- Be involved with all environments, irrigation practices, Integrated Pest Management, and plant growth products.
- Lead cost control and innovation to reduce runoff of fertilizers and pesticides.
- Represent Growing at weekly labor and round table meetings.
- Conduct and/or attend regular one-on-one meetings with staff and upper management.