Field Crew Island Grown Initiative
- Date Posted January 20, 2023
- Location Vineyard Haven, MA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Island Grown is seeking hard-working field crew members to help us learn and grow food for the community. Field crew members assist in all aspects of crop production on our 12 acres of growing space, work with volunteers, school groups, and more.
Field crew members join us for either a long season (April through December with potential to stay on year-round) or a short season (June through September). Work averages 40 hours a week over 5 days, with the expectation that some days will be longer than others depending on the needs of the farm, and daily start and end times will change during the hot summer months. Work days are also flexible, as weekend coverage might be needed through the season.
Field Crew Responsibilities:
- Greenhouse work: seeding, watering, thinning, transplanting for field crops. Regular maintenance, seeding, and harvesting in our soil-based greenhouse systems.
- Field work: Seeding, planting, laying irrigation, weeding and hoeing, mulching, moving tarps and landscape fabric, regular lifting and moving of sand bags and irrigation pipes, and more.
- Vegetable processing: harvesting, washing, sorting, packing, and labeling produce for CSA distribution or other customers.
- Other: Tracking and entering field data, light carpentry and tractor work when applicable, interaction with volunteers, gleaners, student groups, and CSA members.
What we’re looking for:
- Job experience in agriculture (experience with growing vegetables is a plus)
- Detail-oriented, organized, tidy, and computer literate.
- Excellent listening skills, with a willingness to learn and discuss new ideas.
- Physically capable of sustained manual labor, including the ability to safely lift 50 pounds regularly and repeatedly.
- Passion for good food, regenerative farming practices, environmental stewardship, food equity and justice.
- Self-motivated, and able to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Willingness and ability to work hard while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, including rain, wind, heat, cold, etc.
Compensation: We are working on housing solutions for future field crew members, but are not able to provide housing for the 2023. Field crew members enjoy access to the food they grow, with limits based on the available supply of crops. Compensation this position is : hourly, $20/hr + Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineJune 01, 2023