Kitchen Manager Fig Omaha
- Date Posted January 24, 2023
- Location Omaha, NE
- Category Business / Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Fig. is a multifaceted culinary brand that seeks to create clean, fresh, approachable food using high quality ingredients and from scratch production. When it opens in April 2023 Fig. will serve museum patrons and riverfront pedestrians daily in the cafe, host field lunches for museum school trips, provide full-service catering + unique event venue, and be the culinary partner to Kiewit Luminarium on community program initiatives.
Fig. will open at the Kiewit Luminarium, a new, next-generation science center that will joyfully engage people of all ages and identities to explore astonishing phenomena and consider something new. Anticipated as a regional draw and a national model, Kiewit Luminarium’s interactive exhibits and programs will inspire lifelong interest and careers in science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics.
In this special location, Fig. has a unique opportunity to engage hundreds of thousands of people a year through the culinary experience that is crafted for museum goers as well as riverfront pedestrians and locals seeking high quality ingredients of a versatile menu, in a beautiful space. The Luminarium’s purpose-built, 82,000 sf facility is rising on the Omaha RiverFront and will serve as a backdrop to over 100 open-ended exhibit experiences. The cafe will seat 72 inside and 50 outside on the patio and boardwalk. During weekly adult-only nights, visitors will be able to enjoy the exhibits while having a cocktail (or mocktail) and participate in special programming across a range of topics. Food offers rich opportunities to explore science and culture while celebrating and providing access points for diverse communities.
Fig. will partner with Kiewit Luminarium on culinary aspects of the museum’s exhibition programming as well as be the preferred caterer for venue rentals.
Fig. seeks a culinary partner with great experience and passion for excellence to lead the final development of the menu concept and run a unique culinary program. This culinary leader should be someone with extensive experience in a variety of professional culinary settings from catering to restaurants, but also someone with a passion for reaching community through food.
The opportunity includes diverse responsibilities: planning the daily cafe menu to serve visitors; creating special menus for field trip students from all over Omaha; collaborating with local community groups to create events with distinct menus reflective of the groups’ mission; and catering evening menus once a week to fit museum exhibits.
This position will oversee all operations of the kitchen, menu development and execution, as well as plan and serve catered events. For the right candidate Fig. is offering competitive compensation and equity
- Build on existing systems and create new efficiencies in a newly opened kitchen
- Prepare and manager kitchen schedules to meat the restaurant needs and budgets
- Manage inventory, ordering, and vendor relations
- Supervise and support all staff while regularly working the line
- Oversee training and development of kitchen team, ensuring constant improvement in culinary skills
- Ensure consistency in production standards and high quality dishes
- Conduct regular line checks, monitor stock levels and adjust prep schedules to ensure adherence to recipes and quality execution
- Uphold and maintain sanitation and safety standards at all times
- Minimum 1-2 years in culinary management experience
- Strong business acumen, including understanding budgets and operating costs
- Excellent knowledge of food recipes, handling and preparation
- Strong organizational skills
- Creativity and agility to adapt to seasonal availability
- Demonstrated ability to train, motivate, and direct team
- Results-driven with proven track records of creating learning environments
- Must be able to work 50-55 hours a week with a flexible schedule including opening, closing, weekends, holidays
- Must have proof of Covid vaccine and booster
- 55K Total Compensation
- Paid vacation
- Health Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Catering commission
We are proud to offer a safe workplace for our employees. In the interest of safety for all Fig. and Luminarium employees, the company requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (defined as 1 completed dose of a 1-dose series or 2 completed doses of a 2-dose series of the COVID-19 vaccine), and encourage employees to receive their booster shot if eligible, unless due to a bona fide medical and/or sincerely held religious reason in which case a reasonable accommodation will be discussed unless it causes an undue hardship to Fig.Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions