Farm Fresh for Health Director ASAP
- Date Posted January 27, 2023
- Location Asheville, NC
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project
Position: Farm Fresh for Health Program Director
Supervisor: Molly Nicholie, ASAP Executive Director
Classification: Permanent, Full Time, Exempt / Hybrid office with 3 in-office and 2-remote workdays available
Purpose: The Farm Fresh for Health (FF4H) Program Director is responsible for guiding the development and implementation of ASAP’s Farm Fresh for Health initiatives, with a special focus on the Farm Fresh Produce Prescription program (FFPP). FF4H is a place-based, farm-centered wellness initiative that is designed to improve the health and social connectedness of all people in the Southern Appalachians through positive local food and farm experiences.
PRIMARY ACTIVITIES (include but are not limited to)
- Plan and implement Farm Fresh Produce Prescription program and other Farm Fresh for Health (FF4H) activities in conjunction with the team and across programs.
- Supervise program staff and participate in hiring.
- Manage program-specific budgets and projects.
- Manage program-specific grant reporting.
- Contribute to program evaluation.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Develop and foster partnerships with key civic and business entities and communities to promote FF4H initiatives and ASAP.
- Support outreach and engagement for all FF4H audiences including community members, health care providers, farmers market managers, and farmers.
- Work with Communications Manager to plan and implement creation of promotions and communications with public, media, and partners.
- Work with Directors to identify long-range strategies for FF4H initiatives.
- In conjunction with the supervisor, communicate with program-specific funders.
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership by being actively involved in all programs and services, developing a broad and deep knowledge of their purpose, role, and contributions to the organization.
- Lead development, planning, implementation, and analysis of special projects and initiatives as needed.
- Participate in and lead HR initiatives for the organization.
- Participate in overall organizational planning and development.
- Ensure program operations and activities adhere to legal guidelines and internal policies.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned.
KEY LIVED EXPERIENCES, ATTRIBUTES, and SKILL SETS SOUGHT
- Ability to work independently, and collaboratively with a team, often on multiple tasks at one time
- Knowledge of and commitment to ASAP’s mission, vision, and equity statement
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Discretion and professionalism in dealing with sensitive information
- Strategic planning, project management, financial management, staff supervision and development, and leading key internal strategic initiatives
- Exceptional relationship-building and interpersonal communication (written and verbal) skills
- Ability to complete assigned tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to complete routine duties with consistency and attention to detail
- Accuracy in dealing with processes and recordkeeping
- Ability to plan and implement public engagement activities/events at farmers markets and other settings
- Commitment to effective customer service and capacity to build authentic relationships
- Bilingual (Spanish speaking) preferred
- Professional or lived experience communicating and working effectively with diverse communities, including urban and rural communities, BIPOC communities, and/or low-resourced communities.
- Understanding and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in the local food system
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS PREFERRED
- A bachelor’s degree in human services, human resources, social services, business, or equivalent.
- Three or more years of project, financial, and personnel management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- Experience with HR generalist tasks including interviewing, new hire orientation, creating and executing recruitment and retention initiatives.
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers.
- Experience working with healthcare providers and processes.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong public speaking ability to large and small groups on complex topics.
- ASAP requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to follow office guidelines around masks, based on current recommendations
- Must provide consent for a background check. ASAP does not base our employment decisions solely on background checks or convictions (Title VII/NC order 158) and we do not ask for credit checks (FCRA).
- Ability to regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds without assistance
- Some local travel and periodic Saturday/evening shifts
The compensation range for this full time position is $47,000 to $57,000 DOE. An additional health insurance stipend of $3,600 is provided for full compensation of $50,600 to $60,600. First year employees are immediately eligible for fringe benefits including 10 paid company holidays, 12 paid sick days, 12 paid vacation days (paid vacation accrual increases with term), Employee Assistance Program for the entire household, and employer match of 3% to SIMPLE IRA.
ASAP is currently a qualifying employer for the Public Student Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Location job can be done remotely Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline