Market Programs Manager Common Good City Farm
- Date Posted January 31, 2023
- Location Washington, DC
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Job responsibilities of the Market Programs Manager, under the direction of the Deputy Director and executed with support and assistance of Common Good staff and volunteers, include:
Farm Market Management - 60%
This position is responsible for continuing to execute our highly successful farm market and community-supported agriculture (CSA) program. As one of the only markets with a pay-what-you-can philosophy, the market serves as a vital food access point in the community. Our customers are diverse and include those who pay with all kinds of food assistance benefits. We are working to grow our market customer base, including CSA and Market CSA customers. Some of the duties of this role include:
- Staff, manage, and run a weekly farm market on Wednesday afternoons during the market season, exact scheduling subject to change in collaboration with colleagues and customer feedback. The candidate should plan to be available until at least 7:30 PM on Wednesdays.
- Design, implement, and manage online ordering marketplace.
- Recruit, hire, train, and supervise market employees and volunteers.
- Serve as the inventory manager for the organization, including tracking produce sales data and inventory and sharing that information with the team through monthly reports and in real time.
- Appropriately tracking data from the market in accordance with organizational needs and grant agreements.
- Maintain the Common Good City Farm cold storage unit and inventory, including keeping up to date with routine maintenance and cleaning, and food safety certifications as required.
- Create processes to ensure that excess market goods are used by programs, given to volunteers or staff, or donated to appropriate organizations.
- Advise and develop an annual plan for farm market operations that addresses programmatic needs and grant deliverables.
- Work with the Farm Manager to ensure well-rounded produce ordering that is complementary to what is being grown on the farm and communicate availability to additional program staff for the Farm Market and Youth Education programs.
- Food Assistance Programs
- Stay abreast of changes to food assistance programs, and Provide input on the Produce Plus planning process when possible.
- Maintain compliance with all food assistance program requirements, including SNAP, WIC, FMNP, and Program Plus.
- Customer Service
- Engage customers and answer questions about produce, market, farm, programs.
- Communicate with CSA customers about produce availability, pick-up times, questions
- Farm Market Programs
- Hold several winter pop-up markets.
- Manage expansion of Farm Market to include produce delivery to seniors and collaborate with Youth Programs Director and Farm Educator to accommodate a new program for teenagers at Farm Market
- Implement new initiatives such as Wellness Wednesdays (vendor fair) to bring in new customers and community members
- Work with the Communications and Events Manager to grow the market customer base, conduct outreach to local residents, and ensure that the market is meeting community and customer needs.
Youth Program Management and Support - 30%
- Manage the Summer Youth Employment Program:
- Create an engaging summer program for 2-4 teenagers ages 16-20 that includes farm education, food justice and policy education, as well as basic job skills and time management
- Manage Youth Employees, including on-farm tasks, time keeping, and educational programming for both MBSYEP and youth hired directly.
- Support Youth Programs Director and Farm Educator
- Support youth education farm-based programs including LEAF, Field Trips, teen program, and Certificate Program in Regenerative Agriculture
- Assist in farm lessons and workshop instruction as needed.
- Event Support
- Contribute to the planning and support of community events and coordinate any volunteers needed in collaboration with Communications & Events Manager
- Take a lead role in managing events planned in coordination with other community partners.
- Grants and Metrics
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to provide input on program specific grants, including feasibility and parameters for programs proposed in grants.
- Responsibly manage grant funds and reporting as needed.
- Collect, analyze, and report on program data in accordance with organization’s needs.
Organizational Support - 10%
- Be a welcoming presence to youth and adult community residents, promoting active and broad participation by volunteers, program participants, and other stakeholders in a manner that supports relationship building between the farm and the community.
- Assist with preparation of farm reports for Board meetings and grant reporting.
- Represent Common Good City Farm at community meetings, events, and other outreach efforts.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships within the urban agriculture and local food systems communities.
- Assist with building partnerships with other community organizations or neighborhood groups.
- Be available for interviews with local reporters and researchers.
- Work as a team with other staff to achieve cross-program efforts, or farm projects needing additional support.
- Supervise and train volunteers of various skill levels with support from the Farm Manager. This includes leading volunteer groups of up to 30 individuals in large farm tasks.
See website for desired qualificationsCompensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions