Retail Sales Manager Lexington Community Farm Coalition
- Date Posted March 15, 2023
- Location Lexington, MA
- Category Business / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
The farm is a model for responsible land and soil stewardship, a place for fresh local organic produce and for community connection.. We donate seedlings and produce (at least 10% of our produce) to people in need through local food rescue and community organizations. We participate in the SNAP and HIP programs so that people of limited means can shop in our farm store. We also subsidize some of the CSA shares for SNAP recipients.
The farm’s retail business is a core part of LexFarm’s operations. Retail sales include produce grown at LexFarm and by local partner farms, high-quality local food (dairy products, meats, cheeses, bread, condiments, etc.), flowers, seedlings, gardening supplies and artisanal products. Sales are conducted in-store, self-serve, and via Square, an on-line sales platform. The farm runs a CSA program with multiple offerings – vegetables, mushroom, fruit and flowers. All except flowers, which are pick-your-own, are distributed in the farm store.
The farm store serves as the hub of the farm and all retail sales. It is the face of the farm, as well as its eyes and ears. The proper running of the farm store is key in maintaining excellent relations with the public. Job description About the Position
This is an opportunity to work with a group of fun-loving, hard-working people who are passionate about good food.
We are looking for a skilled and experienced manager to run the retail side of the farm, year-round, including a busy farm store and sales of all items in-person, self-serve and online, through the Square POS platform. We are delighted to elevate this position from seasonal to year-round and to welcome a food and farm savvy professional with a passion for leading successful teams in a customer facing environment. The position is full-time and year-round. Scheduled for Tuesdays through Saturdays weekly, and 3 Sundays for farm events.
A successful Retail Sales Manager enjoys interacting with people. Great customer service skills, an ability to work quickly and efficiently, and a good sense of humor are vital. They like balancing big picture vision with efficiency and details of operations. Interest in sustainable agriculture, local food systems, and cooking is a plus.
The Retail Sales Manager reports directly to the Executive Director and collaborates with the Farm Managers, Harvest Manager, and Education Director.
● First and foremost, the Retail Sales Manager is the lead good-will ambassador of the farm store. They should be bright, positive, empathic, patient, a problem solver, and an excellent listener and communicator. They should excel in customer service.
● Responsible for store systems, hiring, training, scheduling and managing all Retail staff.
● Works closely with the Farm Managers regarding the produce that will be available for distribution, and produce and quantities selected from other local farms.
● Oversees pricing and stock control; and ensures that information about all goods is actively shared with the team and customers.
● Trains and supervises staff regarding food handling, products, and store operations.
● Oversees the ordering, procuring, and maintaining of inventory for the farm store and updates the inventory systems weekly.
● Responsible for setting and being accountable to budgets and profit goals.
● Ensures that unsurpassed service is being given by farm store staff and work shares.
● Responsible for farm store marketing, including signage inside and outside the store, and collaborates with other staff on newsletter communications and posting on social media.
● Responsible for smooth POS operations, maintaining proper records of sales, updates, and troubleshooting with tech support services
● Planning and executing the Pre-Thanksgiving and Pre-Christmas sales events.
● Develops and pilots an online farm store sales program. Requirements
● At least 2 years of experience in retail, agriculture, or food service, and one year of experience in management
● Marketing and creative experience is a plus
● Prior experience with a CSA or knowledge of cooking, gardening, or farming is not required, but a plus.
● Must enjoy a fast-paced environment when we are busy and have the ability to create projects and tasks for those times we are slow.
● Ability to work on Saturdays and on three Sundays when there are farm events, although for the right candidate there may be flexibility.
● Able to bend and lift 50 lbs repeatedly and safely
This is a full-time position that begins April 11th. The farm store operates Wednesday-Friday, 2-7 pm, and Saturday, 9 am-2 pm. The Retail Sales Manager is expected to work Tuesday-Saturday, 3 Sundays for farm events (although for the right candidate there may be flexibility). After a brief winter break, the farm store will reopen in January. There is some flexibility with the schedule depending on the staff schedule, but the Retail Sales Manager is ultimately responsible for ensuring that the farm store is staffed during all open hours. A Retail Associate will be hired, and workshares and volunteers will also be retained.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a year-round, salaried, full-time managerial position with an annual salary commensurate with experience. An additional 10% of salary is provided in the form of a healthcare stipend. The healthcare stipend may be received in the form of a Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) program.
Benefits include a summer vegetable CSA share, a PYO flower share, a fall vegetable CSA share and a discount on all produce and products sold at the farm store. Benefits also included two weeks of vacation (only one of which can be taken within the 20 week Summer CSA window), paid holidays and 5 days of paid sick time.
Compensation this position is : salaried, 35,568* - 50k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineMarch 28, 2023