Facilities and Grounds Manager Deep Springs College +1 more
- Date Posted August 15, 2023
- Location Big Pine, CA
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Full-Time
Deep Springs College is a private, nonsectarian, fully accredited, two-year college program for academically-gifted young people, located on a small cattle-and- alfalfa ranch in a beautiful, remote area of the White Mountains on the California-Nevada border. 24-30 students attend. Watch the 2022 60 Minutes profile about Deep Springs College.
The program, founded in 1917, combines rigorous academic coursework with a minimum of 20 hours of physical labor each week. Students milk cows, wash dishes, assist in the office, cook, clean, make hay, and tend to cattle, horses and gardens.
All members of the Deep Springs community—the students, faculty, staff, president, and resident families—live on-site and take part in fostering and developing community life, at the same time respecting each others' need for privacy. Room and board is provided for all employees as part of a robust benefits package.
Deep Springs is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, national origin, religion, age, or disability. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
The college is located in California's Eastern Sierra region on Highway 168, 26 miles east of Big Pine, California, 11 miles from the Nevada state line. Death Valley National Park and the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest are directly adjacent to the College, and Yosemite National Park, Mono Lake, the Buttermilks, and Mammoth and are all within a few hours’ drive. Los Angeles is a 5-hour drive away, Las Vegas is 3.5 hours; and the San Francisco Bay Area is 7-8 hours depending on the season.Job description
Deep Springs College, a unique educational institution in the high desert of Eastern California, is actively seeking an experienced and proactive Facilities and Grounds Manager to maintain the facilities and grounds of our unique college in collaboration with a dynamic and motivated staff and student team.
The successful candidate will ideally have journeyman-level skills in a trade and demonstrate competence and ingenuity in managing the residential infrastructure and physical resources of our campus and extensive grounds.
The Facilities and Grounds Manager's role is pivotal in maintaining and improving the physical environment of Deep Springs College. They ensure that the college's numerous structures and landscapes are well-maintained, ecologically-integrated, safe, and aesthetically pleasing, contributing significantly to the communities’ quality of life.
Beyond this, the successful candidate will offer valuable mentorship and guidance to students through labor supervision thereby contributing to the college's holistic educational approach. This role is also integral to the college's long-term planning, sustainability, and resilience, by leading in critical areas that preserve the long-term value of the college property.
They carry out the following responsibilities, with the help of a student maintenance team:
- Facilities Management:
- Managing the potable water system and compliance with relevant state regulations.
- Troubleshooting heating, electrical, and septic systems.
- Identifying and managing general upkeep including painting, roofing, carpentry, windows, screens, etc.
- Implementing our scheduled maintenance program for building and facilities.
- Planning and maintaining grounds for campus and ranch landscaping and trees.
- Repairing and construction of Campus and Ranch facilities, where needed.
- Overseeing life safety systems routine maintenance performed by outside contractors.
- Managing removal of trash and recycling from campus.
- Facilities Management:
- Shop Management:
- Maintaining shop inventories of tools and supplies to ensure ease of use and collaboration within the college operation team.
- Assisting the Ranch Mechanic with maintenance and repair of large infrastructure and farm and ranch equipment, when needed.
- Implementation of the Injury and Illness Prevention Program and the College Safety Policy for the areas of responsibility.
The Facilities and Grounds Manager, like all staff positions, may be required to spend some of their working time on a governance committee for the college, e.g. the applications committee. They may also have the opportunity, should they so choose, to offer an independent study or small class on skills beyond the regular supervision and instruction of a student team.
- Proven excellence in facilities management, preferably in an educational or similar setting.
- Journeyman-level skills in a trade such as carpentry, electrical, hvac, plumbing with additional competencies (e.g., welding) highly desirable.
- Familiarity with safety and environmental regulations and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to train, supervise, and inspire students in facilities management tasks.
- Strong problem-solving skills, capable of addressing complex systems and structures.
- Demonstrated ability to manage budgets and project timelines effectively.
- Ability to obtain California Water Operator’s D1 License.
- Ability to obtain a California Driver's License.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills.
Working at Deep Springs College offers rewarding experiences beyond the scope of individual roles. Staff members not only manage their respective responsibilities but also interact with students, providing guidance in their studies, work, and communal decision-making. Staff also set high behavioral and communicative standards, participate in campus events, and collaborate on problem-solving and improvements. This unique, intimate setting is often considered a rare privilege and enriching aspect of professional life.
This job is a five-day work week but must be flexible for “on call situations,” emergencies, and special events such as (but not limited to) extraordinary projects, board meetings, and reunions.
The Facilities and Grounds Manager position offers the following outstanding benefits:
- On-site housing
- Paid utilities
- Meals provided
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Above-average PTO allowance (starting at 27 days)
- Substantial retirement contribution
- Professional development funding and opportunities
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, alongside the opportunity to live and work in a distinctive educational environment. Here, you can have a meaningful and singular impact.
The salary range for the Boarding House Manager is $65,000 - 80,000. We are open to negotiating compensation beyond this range for candidates with exceptional experience.
We are open to candidates early in their career with the potential to fully grow into this role as well as experienced professionals ready to quickly master every element of this position.Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions