Farm Distribution Coordinator Island Grown Initiative
- Date Posted September 15, 2023
- Location Vineyard Haven, MA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
This full-time, year-round position begins October 9, 2023. Work averages 40 hours a week for the year, with the expectation that some days will be longer than others depending on the season and needs of the farm. Daily start and end times may change given the time of year. Work days can also be somewhat flexible to cover weekend farm chores. This position reports to the Farm Director.
Coordination Responsibilities (65%):
● Works with Field Manager and other farm staff to coordinate IGI’s summer (mid June through October) and winter (November through mid March) CSA programs. Handles all data tracking and reporting, member outreach and correspondence, weekly member newsletter, weekly share packing and distribution related to the CSA.
● Uses Local Food Marketplace software to manage inventory and accounts for CSA distribution and online ordering for wholesale clients. Communicates with other clients (chefs, grocery stores, IGI’s Kitchen, Food Pantry, and Mobile Market programs) to move
product consistently throughout the year.
● Outreach to wholesale clients as product availability allows once IGI program needs have been met.
● Delivers produce to IGI programs, wholesale clients, and other outlets in an IGI vehicle regularly.
● Acts as a point of contact for farm crew during field and greenhouse harvests. Ensures correct harvesting, washing, packing, and harvest data tracking procedures. Conveys orders and ensures harvesting to keep deliveries on time.
● Manages an organized system for monitoring and distributing cooler inventory to minimize food waste and monitor quality control.
Other Responsibilities (35%):
● Greenhouse work: seeding, watering, thinning, transplanting. Work in our soil-based greenhouse systems.
● Field work: Seeding, planting, laying irrigation, weeding and hoeing, mulching, moving tarps and landscape fabric, regular lifting and moving of sandbags and irrigation pipes,
● Other: Tracking and entering field data, light carpentry and tractor work when applicable, and interaction with volunteers, gleaners, and student groups. Occasional help with the Farm’s other programs as time allows.
What we’re looking for:
● Passion for good food, ethical farming practices, environmental stewardship, food equity and justice
● Job experience in agriculture (greenhouse and/or field production) is a plus
● Detail-oriented, organized, and flexible
● Computer literate with online databases, Google Suite, etc.
● Valid driver’s license
● Excellent listening and communication skills, with a willingness to learn and discuss new ideas.
● Physically capable of sustained manual labor, including the ability to safely lift 50 pounds regularly
● Self-motivated, and able to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
● Willingness and ability to work hard while maintaining a positive attitude, especially while working with coworkers and clients
● Ability to work in all weather conditions, including rain, wind, heat, etc. Compensation this position is : salaried, varies DOE, $48,000.00 - $52,000.00 Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline