Assistant Farm Manager The Hotchkiss School
- Date Posted October 21, 2023
- Location Lakeville, CT
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Full-Time
Department: Fairfield Farm
Schedule: Season is February - November
Monday through Friday - 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (8-hour shift, with 1/2 hour lunch break).
Flexibility is required depending on the season, with some evening and weekend availability as needed.
Designation: Staff, full-time, 10-months
Reports to: Farm Manager
Travel: Local travel
About Fairfield Farm:
The primary mission of Fairfield Farm is to serve as an education-focused production farm that invites Hotchkiss students to work and learn on the land and become inspired to contribute to a food system that is sustainable and equitable for all living things. In order to achieve our mission, the Farm must be a true production-oriented farm providing meaningful amounts of food to the School’s dining program and local food pantry.
The School is seeking a highly qualified individual who is passionate about helping to grow food and care for our 287-acre farm, an integral part of the Hotchkiss campus. The Assistant Manager will play an integral role in producing, harvesting, and delivering a variety of vegetables from the fields and high tunnels and fruit (~25,000 pounds annually) from the orchard and caring for livestock (75 laying hens, currently). Must possess experience and knowledge of farming, equipment operation and maintenance, and a willingness to perform physical labor outdoors in all kinds of weather. Experience and knowledge of animal husbandry and an interest in organic and sustainable agricultural practices are preferred. The Assistant Farm Manager will be able to work independently or with the Farm Manager and Hotchkiss students, Faculty and Staff participating in our farm co-curricular, FFEAT (Fairfield Farm Ecosystem and Adventure Team).
- Hand plant, weed, cultivate with equipment, sustainable pest management, and harvest of crops (ex. mixed vegetable and orchard fruit).
- Operate and maintain tractors and other farm equipment.
- Assist in the care of our livestock (currently 75 laying hens).
- Assist in managing summer interns and volunteer groups (Hotchkiss community or other local groups) at the Farm.
- Assist in tracking harvest and donation numbers.
- Assist in produce deliveries to dining and community partners using school vehicles.
- Provide assistance with other duties as needed and assigned, such as carpentry, land management, fence line clearing/maintenance, etc.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- High School Diploma required.
- Experience farming in a production setting is preferred.
- Carpentry and other skills like irrigation installation and maintenance is preferred.
- Livestock husbandry skills and experience are a plus.
- Experience operating and maintaining farm equipment.
- Basic light farm carpentry skills and proficiency with power tools.
- Must have strong communication skills and the ability to effectively interface with fellow farm staff and farm visitors in a friendly and engaging manner.
- Must be able to work as part of a team, as well as independently on a self-directed basis.
- Must be a self-starter and be able to take initiative in sharing ideas with co-workers.
- Must be flexible and adaptive.
- Ability to work weekend hours as required (ex. leading volunteers, caring for animals, etc.).
- Must have a valid Driver’s license to fulfill duties of the job.
- Follow safety protocols associated with equipment operation.
- Adaptable and has the ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions and elements, including dust, dirt, high/low temperatures, and rain.
- Ability to walk extensively, stand for long periods, frequently bend and stoop, kneel, squat, and shovel to complete farming duties.
- Ability to climb, and be comfortable working with height.
- Ability to lift and carry/or move up to 25 lbs. repeatedly and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work in potentially hazardous physical conditions (around active machinery, power tools, etc.)
The essential functions and basic skills have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
The Hotchkiss School is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to basing judgments concerning the employment of individuals upon their qualifications and abilities. The School is firmly committed to equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and applicants in all phases of the employment process (including recruitment, hiring, assignment, terms, and conditions of employment, compensation, benefits, training, promotion, transfer, discipline, and termination).
In accordance with applicable law, the School does not discriminate against any individual based on age, ancestry, color, genetic information, learning disability, marital status, past or present history of mental disability, national origin, physical disability, race, religious creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic.Compensation this position is : hourly, $20/hr + Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline