Barista / Sales Associate Foster Sundry
- Date Posted October 29, 2023
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Culinary / Production
- Job type Full-Time
Foster Sundry is an artisan cheese counter, whole animal butcher, cafe and specialty grocer in Bushwick, Brooklyn.
We're the place where you can walk in and drink a beer while buying a pasture-raised steak and a hunk of clothbound cheddar; where you can grab a cup of coffee and ask questions about biodynamic farming methods; where you can stop in just to sample some gouda and walk out with plan for dinner and a new favorite food. We strive to be the local destination for really good ingredients with down-to-earth customer service and a warm and welcoming environment that encourages people to come in, come back, and hang out. Meat. Cheese. Awesome.
* Foster Sundry is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply.
The barista position at Foster Sundry is central to the smooth operation of the shop. The espresso machine is front and center, and the barista is the first person greeting every customer through the door. The barista is responsible for making all coffee and espresso drinks at the coffee counter. They will perform opening or closing store procedures with expedience and grace. They will also be required to ring up store purchases at the register and assist elsewhere as necessary. The barista is accountable for maintaining a well-stocked, fronted and clean store floor and for processing incoming grocery orders and deliveries. This position requires excellent customer service skills, a positive attitude, attention to cleanliness and detail and superb time management.
RESPONSIBILITIES & REQUIREMENTS:
- Greeting all incoming customers with warmth and positivity
- Making all espresso drinks to order
- Organizing and maintaining a clean and tidy workspace
- Ringing up customers for storewide purchases
- Assisting customers with questions about all Foster Sundry products
- Restocking milk, supplies, and condiments
- Setting up and breaking down the coffee counter
- Assisting in storewide opening and closing duties
- Unloading and receiving deliveries of coffee and other specialty food
- Processing, stickering and stocking deliveries of specialty food
- Professional barista experience
- A desire to greet and engage customers and foster relationships with regulars
- Meticulous, punctual and detail oriented.
- A positive attitude and an enthusiastic desire to provide excellent customer service in all areas of the store
- A willingness to learn and grow as a barista, and advance one’s skills and knowledge of the industry
- Working knowledge of specialty cheese, meat, and grocery, or a willingness to learn
- Ability to maintain a clean and organized workspace
- Ability to lift 50+ pounds and spend 8+ hours standing
- Passion for the principles of sustainable food and farming
- Flexibility in scheduling, including mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays
- A diligent approach to safety and sanitation. ServSafe (or analogous) certification a plus
- A team player with a willingness to jump in and help with all tasks. A self-starter and hard worker.
- Desire to help build something from the ground up, and make it truly awesome.