Market Co-Manager (Bilingual-Span) North Coast Food Web
- Date Posted November 13, 2023
- Location Astoria, OR
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Founded in 2011, North Coast Food Web’s (NCFW) mission is to cultivate an equitable and resilient food system through producer support and increasing access to local food. Our vision is a community that is home to a diverse and thriving group of farmers, fishers, foragers, and food makers that can start and sustain their food businesses on the North Coast.
In pursuit of our mission and vision and with recognition of historical and present-day racism and inequity in our food system, NCFW is committed to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our employees and Board members are people with different strengths, experiences and backgrounds who are all passionate about creating positive change in our local community food system. We’re seeking candidates from all backgrounds and walks of life who are excited about helping build the future of our North Coast food system.
NCFW is part of an interstate (Oregon and Washington) network of organizations committed to building a more just and resilient food system. We are often in inter-organizational collaborations, supporting and uplifting other values-aligned organizations and businesses.
- Commitment: 32 hours/week. Must be available Tuesday mornings and all day Thursdays.
- Pay rate: $45,760 Salaried (Based on $27.50/hour)
- Start date: January 2, 2024 (flexible)
- Benefits: Generous paid time off and leave policies, 100% employer paid health and dental insurance, access to professional development funds, automatic annual raises without need to negotiate, and 10 hours/mo of free access to a commercial kitchen. You can request our Employee Handbook for details.
The Market Co-Manager is a newly created position that will work collaboratively to manage our market, support our food access programs, and provide Spanish translation & customer service to the organization. This position will work closely with our other Market Co-Manager to run the North Coast Online Farmers Market, which offers a year-round sales platform for over 50 local farmers & food business and weekly order pick-ups in downtown Astoria. Market management includes maintaining our online market software platform, receiving deliveries, managing inventory, coordinating the busy run-of-show on Thursdays, and the management of customer, vendor, and volunteer relationships.
The Market Co-Managers will work together on community outreach and partnership development to grow engagement with the Spanish-speaking community and increase use of our Food Access programming. This role will provide Spanish customer service & interpretation for our in-person market pick-ups, marketing materials and resources, and occasionally for other NCFW programs.
Market Co-Management (70%):
*Note: All responsibilities in this section are collaborative / shared with our current Market Co-Manager*
- Vendor support: answering inquiries, onboarding, receiving deliveries, organizing products.
- Volunteer coordination: recruitment, training, scheduling, & management of volunteers on Thursday.
- Customer support: email &, answering questions, in-person customer service on Thursdays.
- Software: maintenance of our online market software, Local Food Marketplace.
- Accounting: reconcile weekly market payments and prepare sales reports.
- Food Access Support: implementation of our Free Food Box initiative, our market payment systems (SNAP, FDNP, Double Up Food Bucks), and other food access initiatives led by the MFAM
- Pilot Program: development, implementation, & staffing of a pilot Micro-Retail project which is designed first and foremost as a way to distribute free food boxes and SNAP-eligible local foods, and secondarily as a limited-hours general retail outlet for local foods.
- Outreach: Distribute resources and information about our market & food access programs via attending events, tabling, and site visits to other organizations, institutions, and businesses.
- Community Engagement: work with programs staff to develop strategic partnerships with mission-aligned organizations & individuals to more effectively engage with the Spanish-speaking community and expand our Food Access programs.
Spanish Language Support (20%)
- Customer Service: Provide customer service in both Spanish & English for the Market on Thursdays
- Marketing & Materials: review translated materials, i.e. social media posts, newsletters, and printed materials / resources.
- Program Support: provide Spanish-language support for other NCFW programs, such as helping onboard new kitchen renters who primarily speak Spanish, or connecting a Producer Support Client with a Spanish language resource outside of the Food Web
- General Communications: Answer organizational inquiries and correspondence when Spanish language is needed.
Other Responsibilities (10%):
- Attend a weekly all-staff meeting, market meeting, & check-in meeting with the Deputy Director.
- Work with the Programs Team to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate program success.
- Monthly data reporting to evaluate impact and measure success.
- Pursue professional development opportunities to help build skills.
- Quarterly coaching work with the Deputy Director on goals and work plans.
Experience and Skills needed:
- Commitment to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion and justice
- Some prior experience in programs or small business management and/or outreach work
- Spanish language skill sufficient to provide customer service and outreach to primarily Spanish speaking people (full conversational and written fluency not necessary)
- Ease with learning new online systems; prior experience with Local Foods Marketplace or administering SNAP benefits a plus but not needed
- Strong verbal communication and customer service skills
- Patience with elders, machines and different communication styles.
- Emotional maturity and ability to work well with people across differences
- A passion for all things food
Ideal candidates will have prior experience with food systems work, some grocery or other retail experience (especially as a manager) and established relationships within the Clatsop County Spanish speaking communityCompensation this position is : salaried, varies DOE, $45,760.00 - $45,760.00 Application instructions