Product & Culinary Business Manager Project EATS
- Date Posted November 27, 2023
- Location New York, NY
- Category Business / Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
ABOUT PROJECT EATS
Founded in 2009 by artist Linda Goode Bryant, Project EATS (PE) is a living installation of art, food, and human ties.
PE envisions community-based value chains comprised of local farms, processing facilities, commercial kitchens, distributors, retail outlets and waste reuse facilities operating across New York City and beyond. In addition to producing healthy and affordable food, these value chains will produce real, lasting change for low-wealth communities, addressing their historic disenfranchisement and allowing them to build social and political capital, economic power, and hope.
PE is a non-profit social enterprise that joins with residents and stakeholders to use the resources they have, to create the conditions and wherewithal they need to be healthy and thrive where they live, regardless of income.
PROJECT EATS VALUES
We are currently in a phase of transitioning from a small start-up to a more established organization, growing our senior management and program teams, conducting strategic planning, analyzing programs, introducing more prepared food, and implementing new farming methods and technologies. With this growth, our goal is to create a strong organizational culture for our team, which translates to clear mission communication. Candidates should share a belief in and commitment to PE’s essential values:
- Imagination: Project EATS is rooted in uncovering possibilities - in soil and in communities. Our team is seeing the big picture.
- Creativity: We are built on the fundamental belief that all humans are artists with the ability to translate what we imagine into something we can perceive. Our team explores our work, goals, and relationships from all angles.
- Resourcefulness: We believe that we can create what we need from what we have. Our goal is to create programs and infrastructure to serve communities to the fullest.
- Determination: Turning a “can’t” into a “can” is key to PE. Our team will keep going until our goals are reached.
- Strategic Problem-Solving: We do more than check tasks off a list. Our team is going deeper to ensure our work is meeting PE’s purpose, goals, and intent.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Product and Culinary Business Manager at Project EATS leads all development and management of our prepared food social enterprises (Prepared EATS), including the Market Line stall, packaged to-go meals, shelf stable products, and our future Hydroponic Farm & Eatery in Brooklyn (Fall 2024). Reporting to Senior Management, this position will be responsible for the implementation of our existing strategic plan, brand and menu expansion, and the financial and operational success of getting our tasty, nutritious, and seasonal food into the hands of customers in our communities and beyond.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the continued development of our prepared foods strategic plan and operations
- Develop and manage a business culture at our Prepared EATS outlets that achieves goals, is efficient, and respected by workers, customers, and the public
- Build and evolve a Recipe Book that celebrates Project EATS produce and allows affordable pricing for customers
- Develop and manage a service culture
- Work with Sales Manager, Senior Management, and Marketing to set pricing and grow sales/Prepared EATS reach
- Work with Farm Manager and other farm staff to inform crop plan development and utilization
- Provide input into the packaging, display, and sales of our products
- Develop innovations related to prepared foods and any other product lines
- Cultivate and establish strong, mutually beneficial relationships with outside vendors, co-pack organizations, commissary kitchens and other third-party partners
- Manage work of direct reports like the Chef Assistant (including Workforce Development Trainees), including the administration of performance reviews, towards sales goals and strategic plan implementation
- Keep up to code including but not limited to Food Protection Certification, maintaining NYC Dept. of Health license, and all licensing pertaining to being compliant at commissary kitchens
- Ensure that all government regulations pertaining to prepared food preparation, packaging and sales are being met or exceeded
- Maintain and report accurate and complete data and records, including cost of goods and precise recipe weights and measures
- Work with Administrative Manager to maintain all necessary insurances (workers compensation, disability, liability)
- Manage commissary kitchen relationships
- Determine most cost effective purchasing practices
- Mission Alignment and Leadership
- Prepared Foods Strategy Implementation and Business Management
- Team Management and Relationships
- Food Service Compliance and Administration
GOALS OF ROLE
- Develop a menu that creates demand for a varied selection of seasonal, fresh, affordable plant-based meals that are tasty to the tongue and filling to the stomach
- Build operations of the business to scale Prepared EATS
- Develop opportunities to expand the market for Prepared EATS (i.e. special chef events, meal kits, etc.)
Research shows that women and people from underrepresented groups often only apply to jobs if they meet 100% of the qualifications. As no one ever meets 100% of the qualifications, we encourage you to apply if you feel that much of the following matches your experience:
- 5+ years of culinary and/or prepared foods experience, with at least 2+ years of business experience in building and managing a successful restaurant brand/restaurant
- Knowledge and experience in building menus that appeal to popular and specialty tastes
- Knowledge of NYC kitchen and prepared foods compliance and code requirements: Qualifying Certificate in Food Protection
- Experience in people management, skills development and relationship building
- Some social media experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Analytical thinking, strong problem solving and superior organizational skills
- Highly organized and resourceful
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team
- Self-motivated with a bias towards action
- Sound judgment and integrity
- Comfortable working with and teaching others
- Passion for continuous learning
- Enthusiasm about food and prepared foods, and achieving highest quality and standards
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary for this role will be $65,000-$70,000. If this role excites you, we encourage you to apply and share your unique history and qualifications. We are committed to understanding individuals and creating compensation that is fair, holistic, transparent and competitive.
- Employer paid medical insurance
- 10 paid holidays, 10 paid vacation days, 5 paid sick days and 3 paid mental health days
- Bonus pay if working on holidays
- 50% discount on PE prepared eats