Baking Supervisor La Panciata
- Date Posted November 27, 2023
- Location Northfield, VT
- Category Production
- Job type Full-Time
La Panciata, a family-owned bakery in Northfield, Vermont, has been producing delicious Italian-style bread since 1992. Originally started by Glenn and Lori Loati, the bakery gained popularity through its quality product and word of mouth. The bread's exceptional taste and quality ingredients have earned a loyal customer base. La Panciata offers a diverse range of flavors, textures, and styles. The bakery is also known for its community involvement, with the original owners and current owners, Justin and Bonka Loati, actively giving back to local charities. In 2016, Justin and Bonka purchased the bakery, maintaining its originality while infusing their own individuality into the business.Job description
At La Panciata Bakery, we are looking for hard-working individuals with a positive attitude and a strong desire to learn to join our supervisory team. In the Baking Supervisor position, you lead a team of individuals. This critical role helps drive productivity, contributes to overall business success, creates engagement, accountability, and ensures work is done safely. As a Baking Supervisor, you have a solid understanding of various dough types, knowing how to work with it, how it rises and how it reacts to the baking process makes the job easier. In this role, you both model and strive to create a positive and fun work environment.
- Team Management: Supervisors are responsible for managing and leading the bakery staff. This involves scheduling breaks, assigning tasks, and ensuring that everyone is working efficiently and following all details in the baking process.
- Production Oversight: Ensure that production is continuing to move smoothly. This may involve items like, checking pans to ensure that they are clean or making sure that ingredients that are considered allergens are handled accordingly.
- Quality Control: Responsible for maintaining high product quality. This includes monitoring the baking process, reviewing the work of the bakery staff, checking the consistency of products, and ensuring that they meet La Panciata standards for appearance, and quality.
- Production Adherence: A supervisor ensures that all baked goods are prepared according to established guidelines, maintaining consistency in taste, texture and presentation.
- Training and Development: Supervisors may train new bakery employees, teaching them baking techniques, safety procedures, and the bakery's specific processes.
- Safety and Hygiene: Ensuring that the bakery complies with food safety and hygiene regulations is crucial. This involves maintaining a clean and safe work environment, including proper storage of ingredients and the use of appropriate equipment. Along with making sure employees are adhering to proper personal hygiene as well.
- Problem Solving: Handle unexpected issues that may arise during production and find quick solutions to keep operations running smoothly.
- Communication: Communicate with both the bakery staff and owners to relay information, address concerns, and ensure that everyone is on the same page regarding production goals and quality standards. Communication is done primarily through in- person meetings.
- Continuous Improvement: Identifying opportunities for improvement in the bakery's processes and products and implementing changes as needed to enhance productivity and quality.
- Monday 8am - Completion (approximately 7-8pm)
- Wednesday 8am - Completion (approximately 4pm)
- Thursday 8am - Completion (approximately 6 - 8pm)
- Friday 8am - Completion (approximately 5-6pm)
Note: Work hours may vary depending on production completion for each shift and holidays.
- Leadership Skills: Effective bakery supervisors lead by example, inspiring their team to meet high standards while being approachable. They are available to answer questions and support others on the team.
- Strong Work Ethic: Baking Supervisors often work long hours, so they need to exhibit a strong work ethic, dedication, and commitment to their role.
- Baking Expertise: A deep understanding of baking techniques and dough handling is crucial for a baking supervisor. They should be able to step in and assist their team when necessary.
- Organization: Effective organization skills are essential for managing workflow, scheduling breaks, and ensuring areas of operation are clean and organized.
- Communication Skills: A Baking Supervisor will need to communicate clearly and effectively with staff and owners. They should be able to address any concerns or issues promptly.
- Attention to Detail: Quality control is paramount in a baking environment. Supervisors should pay close attention to product quality, presentation, and safety standards.
- A Learning Mindset: Being willing to learn and grow. An interest in learning industry standards or new baking techniques.
Unique Perks and Amazing Benefits
- Paid Holidays
- 50% Paid Health Insurance Plans
- Retirement Matching
- Paid Time Off
- Free Bread
- Free Ice Cream and Popsicles (in Summer)
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent.
- Lift 50 lbs.
- Stand for long durations
- Work in a hot/humid environment