Program Coordinator More Than Food Consulting
- Date Posted November 28, 2023
- Location Anywhere
- Category Business / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
More Than Food Consulting advances organizational and systems change in the charitable food network to ensure people have economic and nutrition security. To do this work, More Than Food Consulting develops innovative programs, conducts evaluations, and disseminates practical resources. Our work is national in scope, and we partner closely with Feeding America and food banks and food pantries around the country. We translate research into actionable resources, build the capacity of food banks and pantries to offer better practices, and inspire others to take action.
It is our core belief that it takes more than food to end hunger. We believe food insecurity is rooted in systemic inequities and structural barriers that make it hard for certain groups to thrive, particularly historically marginalized communities. We provide resources and trainings to build the capacity of the charitable food network to increase the supply of nutritious food, allow guests to choose their food with dignity, address the root causes of food insecurity through connections to community resources and through advocacy. Join a team where we approach our work with a sense of purpose, passion, and kindness.Job description
We have an exciting opportunity for a Program Coordinator as a full-time, remote position. More Than Food Consulting is currently working with several partners to address the root causes of food insecurity through connections to community services, providing coaching with Motivational Interviewing skills, and developing holistic community food hubs. The Program Coordinator will support this work through capacity building, trainings and technical assistance, research and evaluation, and peer learning opportunities. The focus of this work is based on the More Than Food framework to promote a welcoming culture, healthy choice with dignity, and connections to community resources. This position requires familiarity with navigating social service programs, for example community safety net programs and federal programs such as SNAP, and comfort applying those skills in various community settings.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Coordinate the Coaching program:
- Support a cohort of food pantries across the country as they implement coaching with Motivational Interviewing (MI) and the More Than Food framework
- Assist in tracking data input by coaches to ensure complete and timely data entry
- Develop resources and tools to grow the coaching program and support organizations offering coaching with MI
- Support bi-monthly coaching peer support calls with the coaching cohort
Support the development of community food hubs
- Help conduct capacity assessments with food pantries to measure their current operations related to culture, choice and connection
- Provide recommendations for offering wrap-around services and creating community collaborations to address root causes of food insecurity
- Support agencies to engage with community members, gather community feedback, and incorporate feedback when making organizational decisions
Support programming based on the More Than Food framework:
- Help coordinate webinars and virtual trainings with different audiences
- Support the development of resources for capacity building around connection to community resources and providing warm referrals
- Maintain relationships with key partners across projects
- Contribute to communications about better practices (e.g. articles for monthly newsletter or website)
Administrative duties, as needed
- Schedule meetings, coordinate events, including travel to partner sites
- Manage deadlines and projects
- Compile and organize meeting notes and video recordings
- Social work background, including 4-year degree in social work or closely related field OR minimum 2 years' experience in social work or in case management
- Experience in service navigation and knowledge of community safety net programs, social support networks, and/or federal food assistance programs
- Understanding of the charitable food system and knowledge of food security and hunger issues
- Experience working with people of different backgrounds and life experiences, particularly neighbors facing poverty and systemic inequities
- Familiarity and/or experience with community organizing skills (participatory action research, facilitating listening sessions, convening community stakeholders, mobilizing residents around local issues)
- Strong interpersonal skills – ability to communicate effectively to various audiences in written and verbal formats
- Ability and interest to learn new software (e.g. Qualtrics, Mailchimp, Zoom, Microsoft suite, Adobe) or existing familiarity with these platforms
- Ability to work independently in a remote environment with effective time management and organizational skills
Preferred, but not required:
- Experience at a food bank or food pantry
- Research and evaluation skills
- Comfort with graphic design software such as Canva
Strong preference for candidates with lived experience of food insecurity.
Team Values and Traits:
Champions a Strengths-based Approach: Values and embraces opportunities to utilize or draw on the unique strengths of team members, partners and communities. Demonstrates strength-based language across communications. Is passionate about food justice.
Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: Looks for opportunities to incorporate different voices and backgrounds, while building an inclusive culture in which everyone is valued for their unique strengths. Understands that many of the issues in our work are rooted in systemic inequities. Strives to advance equitable solutions in the approach to nutrition and economic security, as well as in their daily work. Committed to continual learning and development in confronting bias and building a more equitable and inclusive society.
Drives Innovative and Upstream Thinking: Offers solutions for improving processes with an eye toward root causes and prevention rather than treating symptoms. Thinks systematically about the effects of change and can be proactive about process management.
Fosters Collaboration: Thoughtfully addresses concerns with team members, leadership and partners with a focus on finding a solution, and regardless of outcome, embraces changes. Reaches out to key partners to understand their perspectives, overcome resistance, gain buy-in, and develop new ideas.
The salary range for this position is $47,000 - $53,000 depending upon experience and qualifications. We offer benefits including health insurance, PTO, 401k plan and professional development opportunities.
Compensation this position is : salaried, 35,568* - 50k Location job can be done remotely Application instructions