Associate Director - Friedman School Tufts University +2 more
- Date Posted January 26, 2024
- Location Beverly, MA
- Category Education
- Job type Full-Time
New Entry Sustainable Farming Project (New Entry) improves our local and regional food systems by training the next generation of farmers to produce food that is sustainable, nutritious, and culturally-appropriate and making this food accessible to individuals regardless of age, mobility, ethnicity, or socio-economic status. In doing this work, we provide critical training, career development, and economic opportunity to new farmers. New Entry operates three main programs: Farmer Training (courses, workshops, incubator farm program), Food Hub (CSA, food access, farm-to-institution), and Regional/National Programs (FIELD Network, collaborative training and research projects). New Entry is a program of the Tufts University Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy’s Agriculture, Food and Environment program.
What You'll Do
This is an on-site position based at New Entry’s Beverly, MA, Moraine Farm Office. This is also a two-year limited term position that is renewable based upon continued funding.
New Entry is seeking an Associate Director who is passionate about our mission. This position offers an exciting opportunity to help shape and carry out the strategic agenda of a nationally respected, comprehensive farmer training and food systems organization. The Associate Director will work with New Entry staff, consultants and regional and national partners to provide strategic leadership and management for New Entry’s farmer training programs. Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Associate Director will have both internal and external facing responsibilities at New Entry and handle the below duties:
- Program management (program development, framing of strategic approaches, high-quality customer service, project metrics tracking and evaluation)
- Administration (grant writing and reporting, month end financial review, fundraising, information technology, facilities management)
- Human Resource functions and recruiting
- Mentoring and leadership development among staff and interns
- Partner closely with the ED to chart New Entry’s future growth and implement strategic goals to grow and scale New Entry’s program impact in the farm and food systems space.
What We're Looking For
- 10 years in a management position in a nonprofit organization, foundation, university, or government agency
- Knowledgeable and experienced in agriculture and food systems work
- Committed to racial equity and food justice work
- Highly entrepreneurial and systems-thinker; self-starter, self-disciplined
- Demonstrated grant writing and grants management experience including federal grants and private foundation grants
- Demonstrated experience in program evaluation and in developing, implementing, and evaluating complex programs and managing nonprofit budgets and performance reporting
- Experienced supervisor, mentor and ability to bring out the best in others; ability to motivate a team and manage large groups of volunteers
- Outstanding communication (written, verbal), interpersonal skills, and ability to show empathy
- Public speaking skills
- Demonstrated success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple competing priorities and deadlines
- Remains focused in the face of pressure, delivers against timelines, not intimidated by tasks/time/financial limitations
- Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain positive relationships with a wide array of people – junior and senior, for-profit and nonprofit, farmers and policy makers, donors and investors, and individuals from extremely diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Operates with excellence in mind in all matters, with the confidence to defend/debate ideas and make changes to processes and operations without ego interfering and can be transparent and direct, with ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in organizational settings and with diverse constituencies.
- Graduate degree
- Hands-on commercial farming or food distribution experience
- Experience managing land-based farmer training and educational programming via farm site management, safe farm equipment use and maintenance, and farmland/soil stewardship
- Experience in adult education and teaching to diverse learning styles
- Community organizing and cross-cultural experience is helpful; comfort and skill in building relationships with beginning, immigrant, and refugee farmer participants
- Ability to speak Spanish or different language(s)
- Experience accessing and/or working with local, state and national service provider networks
- Competent in Salesforce (CRM), Excel, and other management and computer software
- Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
- Willingness to travel regionally and nationally to attend conferences and partner meetings
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
Periods of intense warehouse activities are June through October where multiple days per week will require long hours, and completion of packing and loading of produce into boxes for on-time delivery to customers. Work happens in a warehouse with limited heating/cooling, so it can be extremely hot or extremely cold depending on the weather. If a delivery driver is absent, or staff/volunteers are absent, the Manager will be expected to complete packing duties and make on-time deliveries to customers. Expected travel to meetings throughout the state, region, and nationally.
Minimum $70,000.00, Midpoint $87,550.00, Maximum $105,100.00
Salary is based on related experience, expertise, and internal equity; generally, new hires can expect pay between the minimum and midpoint of the range.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Compensation this position is : salaried, 75k-100k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline