Farm Educator (full- or part-time) Natick Community Organic Farm
- Date Posted January 29, 2024
- Location Natick, MA
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Summer Job
- join our diverse, energetic and passionate team caring for our land and livestock
- engage children and youth in hands-on lessons about animals, plants, and nature
- develop leadership and collaboration skills that will serve you well beyond summer
- work hard and have fun while enjoying our beautiful farm property, and
- make new friends- two and four-legged!
The Role NCOF programs are rich in community and connection, both with each other and the natural world. Summer educators have a co-teacher, and lead activities with children and youth ages 3 - 15. Program groups have a maximum of 12 participants. Depending on group age and educator interest, activities may include:
- Visiting our beloved livestock and/or doing farm chores- collecting eggs, feeding hay, and more!
- Harvesting (and sampling!) our delicious, organic produce
- Exploring the farm’s water features- splashing in the brook and learning at the pond
- Exploring our veggie fields, flower fields and woodlands
- Leading science and nature lessons from your own knowledge and/or our resource library
- Creating art using found objects and farm products like wool roving, sticks, and pinecones
- In programs with older youth, educators will be leading farm production projects, including field and livestock chores; having fun while working hard.
Qualifications We are looking for people who have experience working with youth and are excited about exploring farming with them. Teaching experience and/or experience in agriculture is a plus, but is not required.
Ideal candidates are enthusiastic about kids and agricultural and environmental education, and can adapt on the fly while prioritizing safety for all (humans and animals). While our educators are independent and creative, they’re also part of our all-farm team, so we seek individuals who communicate effectively, ask questions when they don’t understand, and are eager to help where needed.
Logistics This summer role runs from June 3 - August 16, 11 weeks. The week of June 3 is a training week, with programs running from June 10 - August 16.
Full-time (32-37 hours/week) and morning-only (16-20 hours/week) schedules are available. Ideally, you’ll be with us for all 11 weeks, but we will consider part-summer arrangements.
Compensation range is $15.00 - $17.50/hour based on experience and position requirements. As temporary seasonal employees, summer staff are paid for hours worked, and may be asked to rotate schedules depending on program enrollment. Staff working 6 or more hours in a day receive an hour of paid lunch, and paid prep time is provided daily for all educators.
The position also includes CPR/First Aid/AED certification for those who attend training week.
Course and/or internship credit may be available depending on your institution’s requirements.
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S by June 3, 2024. We are unable to sponsor or assume sponsorship of an employment visa. Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline