Farm Assistant DC Greens
- Date Posted February 06, 2024
- Location Washington, DC
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
About DC Greens
Founded in 2009, DC Greens is a nonprofit organization that advances health equity by building a just and resilient food system in the nation’s capital. We believe that racial justice, food access, and health equity are all connected, and that change requires systemic solutions and cross-sector collaboration. DC Greens works in solidarity with those who are most impacted to build a more just food system and break down the systemic barriers that harm our community.
For more than five years, DC Greens has been on an intentional journey to align our values with antiracist, anti-oppressive practices. This has included investments in staff leadership, shifting internal processes to address systemic racism, and implementing programs that operationalize these values externally.
In 2024, DC Greens will be embarking on a new three-year strategic planning process and will hire a new Executive Director. This is an exciting time for the organization to identify an even brighter future using the powerful legacy the organization has created.
We are currently seeking a Full-time, Temporary Farm Staff (April through October) to be part of the farm located at The Well at Oxon Run.
Re-opening on March 19th for the Spring season, The Well at Oxon Run is a farm and community wellness space that is home to seasonal produce/herb production, pollinator gardens, a farm stand, a greenhouse, and a large youth garden with an outdoor classroom. This is an inclusive space for all members of the community to learn, share, and experience.
Under the direction of the Farm Manager, Farm Assistant will be responsible for daily farm operations including, but not limited to: crop production and community engagement. You are an ideal candidate if you have experience working in historically underserved communities, and have experience with agriculture in an urban setting. This position also requires the ability to articulate DC Greens’ commitment to, and emphasis on, racial equity throughout all program and policy areas.
This position will work onsite at The Well at Oxon Run. Ability to be flexible in work hours to include evenings and weekends is required.
Essential Job Requirements
- Assist with crop production including: planting, weeding, harvesting
- Regulate pest populations through active scouting and applying organic controls
- Maximize compost production through active oversight and management
- Support the documentation of farm activities for grant reporting purposes. Including, but not limited to: harvest log, donation records, number of volunteers.
- Collaborate with communications to develop social media content
- Train and delegate responsibilities to farm volunteers
- Lead farm tours for community members, partner organizations, and volunteer groups
- Design and construct farm structures
- Contribute to the development and execution of educational and outreach programs
- Maintain a welcoming environment for visitors and volunteers
- Support in maintaining operating hours for The Well
- Other related duties as assigned
- Flexible availability (some evenings and weekends required)
- Knowledge, skills and interest in small-scale organic food production or home gardening
- Knowledge of or interest in topics, including: urban gardening, botany, environmental science, health and nutrition, food systems, food access
- Experience and cultural competence working with historically underinvested communities
- Demonstrated commitment to the vision and mission of DC Greens’ work
- Qualities of self-motivation, time management, flexibility, creative problem solving and collaboration
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills to ensure smooth operations
- Experience working with communities and youth in order to assist with programming
- Ability to work independently and part of a team
- Ability to perform manual labor and lift up to 50 lbs
- A background check is required by state law since the role interacts with children
Salary & Benefits
This is a temporary, full-time (38 hours/week) hourly, non-exempt position. The hourly rate for this position is $23.50/hr and non negotiable. This position offers 80 hours of sick leave.
Compensation this position is : hourly, $20/hr + Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineMarch 04, 2024