Development Director DC Greens Inc +1 more
- Date Posted February 07, 2024
- Location Washington, DC
- Category Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
About DC Greens
Founded in 2009, DC Greens is a nonprofit organization that advances health equity by building a just and resilient food system in the nation’s capital. We believe that racial justice, food access, and health equity are all connected, and that change requires systemic solutions and cross-sector collaboration. DC Greens works in solidarity with those who are most impacted to build a more just food system and break down the systemic barriers that harm our community.
For more than five years, DC Greens has been on an intentional journey to align our values with antiracist, anti-oppressive practices. This has included investments in staff leadership, shifting internal processes to address systemic racism, and implementing programs that operationalize these values externally.
In 2024, DC Greens will be embarking on a new three-year strategic planning process and will hire a new Executive Director. This is an exciting time for the organization to identify an even brighter future using the powerful legacy the organization has created.
DC Greens seeks a Development Director to lead the vision, planning, and implementation of philanthropic activities that sustain the organization’s work toward advancing a more just and resilient food system.
The Development Director will be instrumental in creating a sustainable development strategy. You will be part of the organization's Leadership Team and serve as the primary point of contact for the Board of Directors’ Finance and Development Committee and Leadership Council.
The Development Director powers DC Greens’ development functions to ensure that annual revenue goals are met. You will strengthen our development practices by continuing to cultivate relationships with new and existing donors and identifying opportunities for new revenue streams. You will be responsible for building strong, sustainable revenue streams with an eye toward the future. With input from the Executive Director and Leadership Team colleagues, you will craft and implement the organization’s development strategy to ensure it aligns with the organization’s goals, and execute fundraising initiatives built on foundation, corporate, and individual donor engagement.
You are an ideal candidate if you are an experienced fundraising professional with a passion for relationship building and strategy.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Establish and implement a robust fundraising strategy to diversify revenue streams and meet annual revenue goals
- Lead on identifying and researching funding opportunities and develop revenue targets and income projections
- Maintain database/CRM to ensure effective moves management that makes the most of organizational capacities and stewardship/cultivation efforts
- Partner with the Communications Director to build a donor communications strategy that effectively segments and targets various donor groups
- Collaborate with Communications Director to create materials for all development campaigns
- Execute high quality gift processing and revenue tracking, ensuring accurate and thorough documentation of all development activities
- Collaborate with Communications Director to create the organization’s Annual Report and/or other year-end collateral for donors and prospects
Managing Development Operations and Revenue Tracking
- Establish and monitor budgets, annual revenue goals, and multi-year giving trends
- Adhere to a high standard of accuracy and confidentiality in the input and maintenance of donor records
- Complete reporting for all grants with input from grant managers
- Develop annual department budget and logic model
- Create and maintain a regular progress-to-goal report and dashboard for Executive Director and Board of Directors
- Regularly review Development Manual to ensure continuity of development operations, and make updates as needed to policies, procedures, and best practices
- In collaboration with the Leadership and Finance teams, identify potential revenue gaps and develop strategies to generate new leads
- Liaise to the Finance team, ensuring all proposal budgets and financial reports are accurate and meet funder deadlines and specifications
Individual Donor Development and Relations
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Board of Directors in the cultivation and stewardship of new, prospective, and established funders and donors
- Partner with the Executive Director to ensure the strategic use of their time on a weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis with choice relationships
- Independently manage a portfolio of foundation, corporate, and individual donors
- Manage and develop initiatives, appeals and campaigns targeting new donors and stewarding existing donors
- Execute the donor stewardship process in order to connect donors to the mission of DC Greens and foster a sense of community
- Help develop creative and mission-centric fundraising messaging that articulates the special role and impact of DC Greens’ work
Foundation Relations and Corporate Fundraising
- Prospect research for new foundation and corporate funder prospects per the development plan, ensuring that new partners are in line with DC Greens’ gift policy
- Lead the process of drafting grant proposals and reports with input from staff, including working with the Finance Team to align grant budgets prior to submission
- Create and customize pitch decks and other fundraising materials for corporate sponsors
- Support in the timely delivery of benefits to corporate sponsors as promised
- Coordinate and staff volunteer days at The Well in collaboration with appropriate staff
Special Event Fundraising
- Lead the planning, project management, execution, and evaluation of DC Greens’ special events
- Ensure strong post-event stewardship
Organizational Leadership/Team Contributor and Collaborator
- In conjunction with the Leadership Team, provide support to develop and evolve organizational identity through cross-departmental work plans and other efforts
- Serve as a primary staff liaison to the Board of Directors, attending all Board meetings and Board subcommittee meetings as assigned
- Exhibit leadership among staff, and contribute substantively and proactively to departmental and staff-wide meetings and retreats
- Foster an organization-wide culture of development, ensuring all staff have the tools and training to do initial cultivation with new donors
- Model organizational values of collaboration, integrity, creativity, sustainability, and equity
- Contribute self-reflections about how power, privilege, and access supports or challenges personal, professional, and organizational efforts to center equity
Experience, Skills, and Qualifications
The position of Development Director will be a challenging and rewarding opportunity that requires a diverse set of skills and experiences. While we understand that no single candidate can possess every qualification listed below, the following are considered priority areas:
- A passionate advocate for health equity and food justice
- No less than 5 years in nonprofit fundraising, with experience managing people and teams
- Experience with corporate, foundation and individual and/or major gifts; familiarity with D.C.’s philanthropic community is considered a plus
- Experience advancing equity and social justice goals within a workplace
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, and a strong orientation toward developing and maintaining systems, standard operating procedures, and protocols
- Working knowledge of fundraising technology to improve methods of donor management, data analysis, and prospect research.
- Demonstrated comfort working alongside a wide variety of stakeholders, from community members to high-net-worth donors. Operates with discretion and adheres to the fundraising field’s best practices, principles, and ethical standards.
- A positive attitude and concern for people and community; demonstrated presence, self-confidence, cultural humility, common sense, and good listening skills
- Experience supporting and working closely with staff and board leadership is a major plus
Compensation & Benefits
This is a regular, full-time, salaried, exempt position. DC Greens’ salaries are set using a pay equity process tool. This process was implemented by the organization in 2019 and utilizes social justice principles to equitably compensate staff. The salary is $98,000 to $103,200, commensurate with experience and non-negotiable. A generous benefits package includes medical/dental/vision, disability/life insurance.Compensation this position is : salaried, more than 100k Application instructions