Farm Market Team Member 21 Acres Center for Local Food +2 more
- Date Posted February 09, 2024
- Location Woodinville, WA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
Founded in 2006, 21 Acres is a program of the HumanLinks Foundation. Our purpose is to promote the benefits of local food systems within the context of climate challenges. We explore the relationship between our natural and built environments, and the transition from an unsustainable, fossil fuel-based lifestyle to sustainable and regenerative ways of living.
We innovate to solve current problems by infusing traditional concepts with new knowledge, and we value a whole systems approach to food production, small-scale food economies, environmental preservation, and climate resilience. People come to 21 Acres, in both the physical and virtual worlds, to unite around ideas and practices that will lead to a better future locally, regionally, and globally.
This position is responsible for advocating for a sustainable local food system and the 21 Acres mission while serving customers through education and sales in the Farm Market. You will be on your feet lifting and carrying boxes of produce and demonstrating strong customer service and communication skills while staffing the market.
We are open Wednesday-Saturday year-round, and our market staff is a flexible part-time crew. We are currently looking to hire a team member to work primarily on Saturdays (9 am – 5:00 pm) and occasionally on weekdays (10 am-6:30 pm).
Every position at 21 Acres involves thriving in a fluid, sometimes hectic environment, and making contributions to the organization’s success amid dynamic priorities, keeping strides alongside other leaders in the field of sustainability. Sharing ideas and enthusiasm is strongly encouraged, and preferred. This position requires the ability to represent the 21 Acres mission of climate education by performing the following duties:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build your knowledge and enthusiasm about sustainable food to provide excellent customer service and educate on products and sustainability.
- Share knowledge and effectively communicate about local and seasonal farming practices and produce availability.
- Provide tips on cooking and preparing produce sold in the market.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment by complying with federal, state, and local procedures, rules and regulations.
- Set up for opening, maintain daily standards, and close the market in a tidy and aesthetically pleasing manner.
- Update market signs to reflect the seasonal products available for sale.
- Restock inventory and communicate low inventory levels with market manager to ensure efficient and smooth operation.
- Operate the point-of-sale device to charge customers, enter discounts, accept payment, and make change.
- Operate a scale with working knowledge of scales, weights and measures.
- Work collaboratively with interns and/or any market volunteers.
- Research produce and gather information about products.
- Properly prioritize tasks, manage and follow-up with projects.
- Determine needs for smooth daily market operations and proactively fulfill those needs.
- Demonstrate continuous effort and use of independent judgment to improve operations, streamline work processes, etc.
- Follow directions with excellent attention to detail and prepare written reports or summaries as necessary.
- Build effective working relationships with individuals inside and outside the organization.
- Convey the importance of climate action to all audiences and visitors to our campus; inspire hands-on collaboration and community participation.
- Embrace opportunities to interact with visitors as appropriate and make people feel welcome.
- Contribute to 21 Acres storytelling initiatives by collecting photos and stories from the farm and volunteer program.
- Participate in 21 Acres staff meetings; assist with 21 Acres events and all staff projects as needed.
- Act in accordance with the mission statement; always promote and adhere to organizational values.
- Take initiative on projects and exhibit commitment to overall goals set by supervisor.
- Exhibit regular and timely attendance.
- Communicate and interact professionally and appropriately with coworkers, the public (youth and adults), and customers.
Qualifications: To do this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required.
Education, Experience, Training or Skills Required:
- High School or GED certificate; 6+ months in customer service or equivalent position required.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate in English.
- Strong self-direction, interpersonal skills, and ability to successfully work independently.
- Commitment to a collaborative work environment across all departments.
- Basic computer skills for critical communication.
- Superb attention to detail, strong organization skills, and ability to prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Commitment to working with diverse populations, language learners, and building engagement with diverse communities.
- Demonstrated commitment to both racial and social equity and environmental stewardship.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision with self-discipline and self-motivation.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment and juggle multiple priorities.
- Maintain a tidy appearance, adhere to the business casual dress code.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions accurately and timely.
- Ability to work in hectic and chaotic work environment and be innovative in solving problems.
- Must have sense of humor, flexibility, and adaptability.
- Obtain and maintain current Washington State Food Workers Permit.
- Commitment to safety in all aspects of job duties.
21 Acres is an Equal Opportunity Employer. 21 Acres is committed to cultivating a culture of justice and equity. Discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law is strictly prohibited. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and our current needs. Please join our team and play a key role in our goal to advance justice in climate action.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineFebruary 29, 2024