Crops Crew Member Harlem Valley Homestead +1 more
- Date Posted February 09, 2024
- Location Wingdale, NY
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Summer Job
Harlem Valley Homestead is a diversified vegetable, flower, and livestock farm on a breathtaking 250 acres in Wingdale, Dutchess County, NY entering our 7th year of operation. The farm is nestled between the Ten Mile River and the ridgeline that the Appalachian Trail runs along, with steep hills, wetlands, and ponds forming the backdrop for our farming enterprises. We are 5 minutes from hiking points on the AT, and other outdoor recreation is nearby including swimming and fishing. We are also 5 minutes from Metro North with easy access to New York City.
Our mission is to deepen our connections to place, to each other, and ourselves, through hands-on learning and immersive experiences. Over the last six seasons, we have restored 50 acres of grazing pasture and silvopasture with our small cow herd, chicken flock, and pigs. We have also developed a market garden with 1.5 acres in intensive crop production and another 3 acre field in cover crop, a 3,000 sq ft heated hoop house used for farm operations including propagation and wash/pack, and a 3,000 sq ft moveable hoop house. As we develop our farming operations, we also plan to expand our capacity to host guests onsite. We plan to restore our barns and farmhouse and build small cabins for overnight guests. To work towards this future, we are creating systems to support public engagement: running programs and workshops and hosting school groups and mentorship programs.
We are looking for individuals who are passionate about farming to join our crops crew for this season. All farm crew members will be trained across basic crop and livestock competencies, though we tend to have individuals focus on either crops or livestock more intensively.
For crop production, we have about an acre of intensive vegetable cultivation that includes a 3000 square foot movable greenhouse, and a 3000 square foot permanent heated greenhouse that we also use for propagation and wash/pack. We use a combination of tractor, BCS, and hand tools for bed prep and turnover, though most day-to-day field work is by hand (planting, harvesting, etc.). The work can be very physical at times, but we strive to have the right tools and systems in place.
Self-motivation, flexibility, and a collaborative spirit are essential, and team members must love physical labor and be able to keep up a rigorous pace. They must also be willing to work in all weather conditions (safety permitting) while maintaining a positive attitude. Equally important are soft skills such as excellent observation skills, the ability to work efficiently and safely, and the ability to transition quickly to new tasks.
As a team, we care about the quality of the products that we produce for our customers, as well as the people, land, and animals that are all essential to a successful farm. If you want to get your hands dirty and are eager to learn on the job and ask questions, then join us! Previous farming experience is preferred, but we are willing to train the right candidate.
- Most if not all aspects of intensive vegetable and herb production, including but not limited to propagation, soil prep, seeding, planting, harvest, irrigation, cultivation, weeding, trellising, wash/pack, and equipment maintenance
- Selling products at market while educating customers on-farm practices and products, and interacting in a friendly and informative manner with customers and on-site guests.
- Additional duties may include work with livestock, perennial crops such as hops and orchards, cut flowers, land management or snow removal (when applicable), on-farm programming, and other duties as needed.
- Availability from April through November 2024
- 40 hours per week, occasionally more, fluctuating seasonally, with reduced hours in the shoulder/off seasons, though we are open to part-time arrangements as well.
- Availability and willingness to work weekends for chores, markets, and/or events
- Clean driving record (insurance requirement) and valid driver’s license for farmers' markets and pickups/deliveries
- Willingness to drive and/or learn to drive farm vehicles (pickup, box truck, and van)
- Respect for safety guidelines and procedures (including COVID protocol)
- Punctual and reliable
- Harlem Valley Homestead has a mandatory vaccination policy for COVID-19 compliant with applicable state and federal law.
COMPENSATION + BENEFITS
- $16-$18 / hour, dependent on experience (housing not included)
- Overtime paid after 40 hours a week when available
- PTO (Paid Time Off)
- Access to surplus produce when available and staff discount on farm product
- C.R.A.F.T. (Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training) membership with the opportunity to visit regional farms
- Training will be provided for all tasks and equipment as needed and may include: hand tools developed for intensive vegetable production, BCS, and other small engine equipment
- Limited shared on-site housing may be available
- Reimbursement for up to $300 in medical bills when receipts are provided for the duration of employment
- $200 gear stipend for the season
REQUIRED TRAINING, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Required Training: Farm safety, farm SOPs, and other trainings as required by law
- Farmer’s Market training
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to travel independently within the office, around the farm, and off-site in farm vehicles. Ability to move throughout the office, as well as attend off-site appointments, and the ability to consistently and safely lift 50 pounds, and on occasion up to 75 lbs.
- Safety: In addition to safety training, the employee must obey all safety policies and wear proper PPE as needed or specified in safety policies.
- Work Environment: Work will be divided between outdoor and indoor duties, on the farm, and in the community. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time, including heat, wind, rain, and snow. The noise level in the work environment will vary from quiet to high.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineMarch 15, 2024