Farm Director YMCA Camp Burgess & Hayward +1 more
- Date Posted February 25, 2024
- Location Cape Cod, MA
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Full-Time
Established in 1928, Camp Burgess & Hayward offers enriching programs for children and families year-round. We are located on Cape Cod, just one hour south of Boston, and situated on over 300 acres of forests, meadows and sparkling freshwater ponds.
Camp Burgess for boys and Camp Hayward for girls are traditional brother-sister overnight camps located on opposite shores of Spectacle Pond. We also offer a co-ed Adventure Trips program for teens, and a year-round Outdoor Education Center and Retreat Center. Our large teaching farm is a key element to all of our programs, providing educational experiences to the thousands of kids who visit our facility every year!Job description
Join us at YMCA Camp Burgess & Hayward, located on beautiful Cape Cod! The Burgess Farm is an important program area for both our summer camp and spring/fall outdoor education programs. The Farm Director will manage and maintain the Camp Burgess Farm as an educational center; using the farm to its potential for providing food to the camp dining halls, while promoting education through hands on experience and volunteerism. Engaging youth in farming is at the core of the Burgess Farm. At present, the Burgess Farm is home to several goats, sheep, many chickens, and a cat, as well as food grown in our garden and production field.
During the off-camp/rental season (November-March), the Farm Director will work with the Maintenance team to assist in the upkeep of the camp property. No maintenance experience is necessary, just a willingness to learn and work hard. This is a full-time, year-round position with benefits and on-site housing available, if needed.
- PROGRAM MANAGEMENT & DEVELOPMENT
Directs and supervises farm program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives including: growing food, care of livestock and general land management, and engaging our youth participants in all these areas. Establishes new program activities in accordance with strategic and operating plans. Assists with Outdoor Education programming and program development, especially as it relates to the farm. Collaborates with Food Service staff in regards to compost and providing food for the dining halls. Implements sound environmental practices to maximize production and develop the SSYMCA farm as a leader in food education. Works with the Camp Directors and Outdoor Education Director to establish new program activities and expand current programs in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
- STAFF ENGAGEMENT & DEVELOPMENT
Trains, manages, develops and directs staff and volunteers as needed. Lends support to the other SSYMCA farms.
- PARTICIPANT ENGAGEMENT & DEVELOPMENT
Builds relationships with and among program participants, responds to inquiries and solves problems. Creates a safe and supportive community environment, and connects participants to the YMCA’s cause.
- BUDGET & FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
Assists in the management of the Farm budget as approved in a fiscally responsible manner.
- FACILITY MANAGEMENT
Works with appropriate staff to ensure program facilities are clean, safe, adequately equipped, well maintained, and attractive. Maintains fields, fences, garden beds, animal pens and buildings, and keeps them up to date and in an organized working fashion.
During winter months, works to provide program facilities that are clean, adequately equipped, well maintained, and safe. Performs regular maintenance and repairs to the facilities and grounds – tasks may involve cleaning, landscaping, painting.
- COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT & SUPPORT
Assists in YMCA fund raising activities/events, and engages in collaborative relationships with community organizations in order to strengthen support and build community.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Sciences or Environmental Sciences or equivalent.
- Proven animal and agricultural skills
- Experience teaching a variety of farming, nature and outdoor education programs.
- Able to develop and maintain positive, effective, working relationships with staff and other agencies.
- Able to effectively lead groups, facilitate discussion and guide staff development
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Effective coaching and teaching skills
- Energy and enthusiasm to perform required cleaning and maintenance duties.
- 21+ with a relatively clean Driver’s License, as required by our insurance.
- Able to climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for an extended period of time, walk, lift and/or move up to 40 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, talk, hear and walk over grounds that are uneven not paved. The employee must be able to work in an outdoor environment in the rain and other inclement weather.
Compensation this position is : salaried, 35,568* - 50k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline