Farm Assistant Boulder Jewish Community Center
- Date Posted February 09, 2024
- Location Boulder, CO
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
Rooted in Jewish culture, we envision a community where everyone feels valued, connected, and celebrated.MISSION
We are a home for community that builds relationships, embraces differences, and embodies what Jewish life can be.VALUES
Community - Bringing people together strengthens relationships and creates meaning and connection.
Joy - Celebrating life together, whether major milestones or simple moments, uplifts us all.
Care - Supporting neighbors through life's difficult times is an essential part of showing up for one another.
Respect - Being truly welcoming means embracing people of all backgrounds and identities.
Growth - Learning and curiosity are never-ending pursuits to be nurtured at all ages.
Generosity - Choosing to give inspires us to be our best selves.Job description
Organization: Boulder Jewish Community Center [Boulder JCC]
Job Title: Farm Coordinator
Department: Milk and Honey Farm
Status: Part-Time, Seasonal (April – October), Non-Exempt
ABOUT THE BOULDER JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER
The Boulder Jewish Community Center’s [Boulder JCC] mission is to provide programs and services based in Jewish values and traditions in a place where people of all ages and backgrounds gather to connect, exchange ideas, learn, and grow. The Boulder JCC is recognized for its innovative approaches to community engagement with the next generation and families through meaningful experiences and philanthropy.
The Boulder JCC is housed in a 52,000 square foot facility sitting on a beautiful 10-acre campus in East Boulder. As a community convener and one of the central addresses of Jewish life in Boulder County and beyond, the Boulder JCC prides itself on offering a wide array of community programming including one of the best Boulder preschools, day camps, after school classes, and arts and culture programs serving infants, toddlers, youth, families, teens, young adults, and adults. The new Boulder JCC further fulfills its mission by being a primary destination for all of Boulder County as a place for meetings, celebrations, fundraisers, and other community events.
The staff at the Boulder JCC is hard working, collaborative, passionate, and committed to mission. The team is driven by a desire to serve the community broadly and deeply. The organization continually strives to improve its delivery of content and services with a focus on its values. The Boulder JCC endeavors to hire individuals who are committed to the JCC’s values, believe in the power of community and want to help grow a dynamic organization.
ABOUT THE MILK AND HONEY FARM
Milk and Honey Farm is a community farm at the Boulder JCC. It is a 2+ acre educational sustainable farm which brings the greater Boulder community together via experiential programs and activities designed to ignite wonder and discovery, grounded in Jewish heritage, tradition, and values. It provides a place for individuals to connect on the simplest level with soil, plants, animals, and people, for the health and well-being of themselves and the larger Boulder community. Milk and Honey Farm is located adjacent to the Boulder JCC building on Boulder Jewish Commons.
The Milk and Honey Farm Coordinator reports to the Farm and Sustainability Director. Their primarily responsible is taking care of the farm according to direction from the Farm Director: following the crop plan including planting, weeding, and harvesting; pest management, irrigation upkeep, beekeeping, and animal care. Farm coordinator will share responsibility for leading community volunteer hours at the farm.
- Assist with general up-keep and maintenance of Farm spaces (Greenhouse, Orchard, Donation field, Educational garden, Food Forest, Compost, etc.)
- Mowing/string trimming
- Fence Management
- Morning chores
- Irrigation up-keep
- Hand weeding and weeding with hoes
- Vegetable planting and up-keep
- General cleanliness and organization of farm spaces
- Assist with animal care of the goats, chickens, and fish
- Fence management
- Assist with other Farm projects as requested by the Farm and Sustainability Director
- Supervise community volunteer times as necessary
- Lead work projects for volunteers
- Train volunteers in good farming practices
- Assist with farm programs as needed
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 2-4 seasons working on a garden and/or farm
- Enjoys working independently, staying focused, and problem solving
- Team player – works well with the farm team for the good of our mission. Works well with volunteers and community members
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Demonstrated ability to work in the heat, sun, cold, rain, and all weather conditions
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for working at the Boulder JCC
- Has the ability to think and act creatively, be flexible, demonstrate pride of work, and is caring about the community they serve
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineMarch 01, 2024