ASSISTANT FARMER Community Food Share
- Date Posted February 12, 2024
- Location LOUISVILLE, CO
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Summer Job
Community Food Share is a regional Feeding America Food bank fighting hunger in Boulder and Broomfield Counties by providing access to fresh, nutritious food through local partners and direct distribution programs. We rescue over 3 million pounds of food annually from local grocery stores, restaurants, and growers and distribute over 10 million pounds of food annually into our community.
Along with rescuing food, we farm on one acre at an offsite, family-owned farm in Boulder, CO where we grow thousands of pounds of vegetables and herbs using organic practices. Most of what we grow is distributed to community members at no cost through our direct distribution programs and local partner agencies. We also operate a weekly farm stand and sell to one restaurant.Job description Job Summary
The Assistant Farmer will work alongside our Farm Coordinator to operate our one-acre organic farm in North Boulder. Though not certified, we grow using only organic inputs and put soil health first. The day-to-day operations of the farm will be managed primarily by the Farm Coordinator, Assistant Farmer, and one hybrid warehouse/farm staff member. We host corporate and individual volunteer groups at the farm twice a week from mid-May to mid-October. The ideal candidate will be reliable, hard-working, and be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment. This person should have the desire to learn and have an active interest in food and farming. Experience with small-scale mixed vegetable farming or gardening is preferred, though we will train the right candidate on our farm’s standard operating procedures. This position reports primarily to our farm in Boulder and occasionally to our warehouse in Louisville. The hours of this position will be 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. with a 30-minute lunch break, Monday-Friday, unless otherwise noted. Weekend work and work outside of normal business hours may be required from time to time.
Season will run from end of April through mid-October (can be flexible with start/end dates +/- a week).
*Time off must be requested well in advance and must be coordinated with the Offsite Farm Coordinator and other crew members. This position is eligible for Paid Sick Time and Colorado FAMLI Leave benefits.Volunteer Programs
- Lead twice-weekly volunteer groups independently and alongside the OFC and other crew members through a diverse range of farm tasks during the growing season.
- Greenhouse seeding and monitoring
- Transplanting and direct seeding
- Installing and running irrigation
- Integrated Pest Management
- Post-harvest washing and handling
- Transporting harvested product to CFS warehouse
- Staffing weekly farm stand
Throughout The Season
- Bed and field preparation using hand tools and small machinery (walk behind tractor, etc.)
- Trellising, pruning, fencing.
- Weed whacking and mowing.
- Miscellaneous infrastructure projects assigned around the farm.
- Travel locally between the farm and CFS will be required, either in your personal vehicle or a CFS vehicle (mileage will be reimbursed for personal vehicle usage)
The above is a fair representation of the duties and responsibilities for this position but is not meant to be all inclusive. Other duties may from time to time be assigned at the discretion of other managers and supervisors within the Operations Department.Qualifications & Skills
Alignment with Community Food Share’s mission and a compassionate appreciation for hunger issues are essential to the successful performance of all responsibilities. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) along with a strong agricultural background required.
- 1+ season of mixed vegetable farming and/or gardening experience strongly preferred.
- Strong interest in organic agriculture/and or food access.
- Excellent communication skills, ability to work independently as well as with a team, strong organizational skills, ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of volunteers, CFS staff, and other organizations.
- Highly defined organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to organize multiple simultaneous and synchronous activities, events, and people.
- Comfortability and experience working with people of different ages and abilities.
This specific position will be primarily (95%) in an outdoor, farm environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and moving equipment. The employee may be exposed to high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; extreme cold or extreme heat.
The work environment characteristics described above are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The pay range for this position is $18.00 to $20.00 per hour depending on experience.
Community Food Share offers a rich suite of benefits for its full-time employees, including,
- Paid sick days earned at .0385 hours for each hour worked
- 100% company paid Colorado FAMLI leave
this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr
Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline