Head Urban Farmer and Teacher Seed Street
- Date Posted January 19, 2016
- Location New York, NY
- Category Nonprofit
- Job Type Part-Time
Seed Street is a social impact start-up looking to revolutionize the food system with increased food justice within vulnerable urban communities and rebuild wellness awareness within New York City and beyond. We are currently operating a pilot farm based in Harlem with plans to expand this year. This is an opportunity to join an innovative and growing organization and participate in operations as well as helping to build our longer-term strategy. We have strong roots in both entrepreneurship and in community-oriented social impact. Together, we can make a powerful change in the way our communities eat and live.
Seed Street is seeking a passionate and motivated individual to join their growing team in the role of Head Urban Farmer and Community Growing Teacher.
As Head Urban Farmer, you will be responsible for overseeing the expansion and maintenance of our hydroponic farms. As Growing Teacher, you will be responsible for leading the implementation of a community-based, hands-on growing curriculum focused on introducing students to plants, gardening and healthful foods. As both head farmer and growing teacher, you will be responsible for helping with our community programming and events targeting student's families and the community around our farm.
We seek someone who has a passion for expanding food justice through urban farming and education, and who believes in the potential to apply cutting edge growing technologies to produce healthful, local foods in a more sustainable way. Prior experience working in urban farming environments, hydroponic growing systems, and also with students and families in an educational or outreach capacity is ideal.
This is a part time position with the opportunity to ramp-up to a full time role within the next 6-12 months as Seed Street transforms and grows into its projected scale.
Estimated weekly time commitment is 15-20 hours per week part-time, with appropriate increase as the candidate takes on more responsibilities within the organization.
You will report directly to our CEO & COO while working closely with our community outreach and PR leader.
Necessary skills, qualifications and experience:
- Background in farming and agriculture with experience working in urban farming.
- Prior experience working with hydroponic farming systems is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience teaching students in both formal and informal capacities.
- Experience in community outreach, especially as pertains to food justice issues.
- Candidate must have strong written and oral communication skills.
- Candidate must be motivated and comfortable leading groups / teams.
- Candidate must bring creativity, energy, and initiative: able to succeed in a relatively new program and entrepreneurial environment.
- Bachelors degree preferred. Background in nutrition, agriculture, food justice and/or environmental justice is a plus.
- Maintain hydroponic farm; manage the harvest including timing and output.
- Perform daily checks on progress and status of hydroponic farm.
- Collect weekly data on the progress and status of crops.
- Participate in weekly strategy calls with the Seed Street executive team.
- Instruct weekly workshops to students focused on the science of plants and growing good.
- Lead community members and volunteers in community outreach Saturdays.
- Liaise with our local community partners as a representative of Seed Street.
- Organize farmers market tables.
- Participate in farming hydroponic technology training hosted by our exclusive technology provider.
- and more!