Fresh Food & Marketing Director Greensgrow Farms
- Date Posted November 26, 2011
- Location Philadelphia, PA
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job Type Full-Time
As an extension of its mission to transform vacant urban lots into positive green spaces, Greensgrow runs a City Supported Agriculture (CSA) initiative, conducts education programs, and consults on urban agriculture practices. We are dedicated to promoting social entrepreneurship through the reuse of land once deemed useless, while reconnecting city dwellers with rural food producers and promoting the greening of Philadelphia's homes and gardens. Greensgrow's non-profit Philadelphia Project brings green ideas to life while Greensgrow Farms Inc. brings food and flowers to our neighbors. Together we are building a better, more progressive and sustainable Philadelphia. Greensgrow has shown it's breadth as an organization and a national leader in urban farming by receiving the "2011 Sustainable Business of the Year Award" from the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce and the Food Systems Innovator Award from the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission and 2011 Best City Nursery while its founder, Mary Seton Corboy, was named "Best Philadelphian" in 2008 by Philadelphia Magazine and was recently named recipient of the Shackamaxon Award.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Partnering with leadership team to fulfill Greensgrow's mission of reinvigorating urban areas, bridging the urban-rural divide and developing direct to consumer sales channels for small business.
- Developing and maintaining an understanding of Greensgrow's customer and partner base.
- Positioning, creating and executing on marketing and public relations initiatives aligned with Greensgrow's philosophy.
- Manage to a departmental annual budget and providing monthly review.
- Grow existing farm stand and CSA (community supported agriculture) sales.
- Support staff in building long term regional farmer relationships to help keep up with local product demand.
- Manage a small team of farm stand and marketing support staff.
This is not a 9-5 behind a desk gig. The successful candidate will demonstrate abilities to:
- Successfully execute effective marketing, advertising and branding campaigns on small budgets.
- Plan and strategize while thinking quickly and solving problems under stress..
- Engage and respond to people, a positive attitude and willingness to understand the world of Greensgrow.
- Work with an entrepreneurial spirit, a can-do attitude and demonstrated initiative.
- Focus on details without losing sight of the big picture.
- Communicate to diverse constituencies across ages, ethnicities, education and income levels.
- Influence and build consensus.
- Bachelor's degree preferred, business or marketing coursework a plus.
- 5+ experience in a marketing role or helping support a growing business.
- Experience implementing social media marketing campaigns.