Farm Manager Homestead Manor
- Date Posted December 05, 2016
- Location Thompson's Station, TN
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Full-Time
Situated on 50 acres of land steeped in local history, the ca. 1819 Homestead Manor property is one of A. Marshall Family Food Inc.’s multi-layer hospitality concept, offering a dining and entertainment opportunities to the community. The 40 acre farm is a hub of growth and vegetation.
In 2017 we will have over 2 acres in organic vegetable production and a flock of 300 truly free-range laying hens. In the past, our vegetables have all been sold on-site to the restaurant and at the Thompson Station Farmers Market in our event barn. This upcoming year, we are looking to expand to a dependable CSA for the community of Thompson's Station and our company with over 500 employees . The environment is dynamic and inviting on the “Back 40” farm- the staff of the property often retreats to the farm to find peace during breaks in the work day because of the fresh air and open space.
Homestead Manor is seeking a passionate Farm Manager to oversee the farm crew, delegate daily operations on the farm, and build relationships with the chefs in the house and the event barn. Responsibilities range from planning the crops for the year, ordering seeds and materials, determining tractor work and planting schedules, maintaining the fertilizing and pest management, balancing the harvest with the kitchen’s needs, maintaining equipment and infrastructure, leading tours, keeping records of production, and designing on-farm minor construction projects. Inviting the community to the farm is a critical part of our work—giving tours and hosting families and groups to see the farm in integral to the property’s mission.
Highlights of the Farm
- 3000 Sq Ft State of the Art Greenhouse
- "Off the Grid" solar power system
- Over 2 Acres of in the ground organic produce production
- 300+ pasture raised laying hen flock
- Responsible for the Thompson's Station Farmers Market
- Must have at least 2 years of organic farming and/or gardening experience and extensive knowledge of vegetable crop production
- Experience managing a team or staff
- Must be able to do extended physically demanding labor in the intense Tennessee summer weather
- Enthusiastic about organic agriculture
- Organized in keeping vegetable production records
- Communicating with the kitchens for their produce orders
- Must be honest, responsible, and flexible
- Must be a self-starter and have an eye for quality control
- Ability to solve problems with a positive attitude