- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Executive Director Vermont Grass Farmers Association
- Date Posted January 03, 2017
- Location Statewide (varies), VT
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
The VGFA is a 501(c)3 non‐profit founded in 1996 to promote, manage and guide pasture outreach and education programs for Vermont producers. VGFA members are dedicated to furthering the use of proactive livestock management to create healthier soils, cleaner water, and financially and personally sustainable farms. The VGFA is seeking to hire a 0.5 FTE Executive Director to support its mission. The Director’s office location is flexible within or near Vermont; this position will require statewide travel, and include some night and weekend working hours. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled. The search committee will begin reviewing applications on January 2, 2017. VGFA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Organizational goals include:
- Enhancing soil and water
- Building farmer‐to‐farmer connections
- Upholding the viability and resilience of Vermont’s livestock farms.
Current programs include
- Vermont Grazing & Livestock Conference
- Jamie Cherington Memorial Mini Grant Program
- Workshops and Pasture Walks
- Jon Rutter Memorial Fund to support new farmers
- State Technical Committee representation
Currently the VGFA shares a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the University of Vermont Extension Center for Sustainable Agriculture to provide staffing support through targeted federal pasture outreach dollars. Staffing covers conference organization, mailing list maintenance, events calendar, mini-grant program oversight, some on‐farm events and board general support. The Board of Directors meets 7-9 times a year to provide administrative oversight and overall strategic direction.
For the past several years the VGFA Board has been going through a strategic planning process to determine next steps in the organization’s future. Through a series of phone calls and facilitated retreats the Board has come to the conclusion that in order to address current opportunities and to fully invest in its mission it must increase organizational capacity through direct paid staff.
VGFA seeks to hire a 0.5 FTE Executive Director.
- Development of new funding sources to support existing and planned activities
- Representation of the interests and perspective of Vermont’s diversity of grass-based farmers.
- Building partnerships with aligned statewide and regional organizations to further grass-based farming.
- Development of an annual budget in partnership with the VGFA Board.
- Establishment of administrative structures and procedures.
- Membership development and outreach.
- Educational event organization.
The organization has committed internal funds for one year, with the flexibility to increase paid time and length of funding through membership development, grant writing, philanthropic support, and other innovative sources. This is an “at will” funding-dependent position. It is expected that the ED will work from a [remote] office with support from the VGFA; this position will require statewide travel, and include some night and weekend working hours. This is not a benefited position.
Individuals who have experience with non‐profit organizational development, non‐profit business planning, and sustainable agriculture are encouraged to apply. Of particular interest to the board are applicants who can bridge the non‐profit world and the on the ground world of agriculture. We are seeking well‐networked applicants with strong organizational analysis and financial planning backgrounds. Marketing and fund‐raising or grant writing experience a plus. Experience as a grass-based farmer a plus. VGFA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information about the VGFA, visit: http://www.uvm.edu/pastureCompensation this position is : salaried, less than 50k Application instructions