Assistant Farm Manager Luna Bleu Farm
- Date Posted January 12, 2017
- Location South Royalton, VT
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
Luna Bleu Farm is a well-established diversified certified organic farm in central Vermont, growing food for our community for over 25 years. On our 42 acre farm, we grow 5 acres of vegetables, raise cattle, pigs, and chickens for egg and meat production, and have a small orchard with blueberries, apples, and plums. We grow and market year round through our CSA, Saturday farmers market, and a few local businesses. Season extension and winter growing in high tunnels is an expanding part of our operation. We work hands on with our employees to share the knowledge we have gained over our years of farming and encourage employees to take advantage of the rich agricultural opportunities in the Upper Valley of Vermont. We are relatively small in size but our diversity with crops and animals means we have lots of fun every day!
Assistant Managers will still be involved, at least to some extent, with all aspects of our farming operation (see Whole-Farm Apprenticeship information), but will take a leadership roll in one of the following areas. Assistant managers will work with the farmers to develop protocols in the area of management. Assistant managers are not expected to have previous experience in managing or even extensive experience in the area chosen. We will train and guide assistant managers and help trouble-shoot problems. We have lots of experience but we are always open to new ideas.
- Harvest/ Washroom Management – Organize and manage daily harvest, quality control, order fulfillment, preparation of produce for farmers’ market and CSA. Maintain washroom cleanliness and order, and develop protocols to increase efficiency. Implement food safety guidelines. Maintain records.
- Field Production Management – Organize and manage successive seedings and transplantings in the field, cultivation schedule and priorities, field irrigation, diseases and pests. Maintain records.
- Greenhouse Production Management – Focus mainly on summer greenhouse tomato production: planting, trellising, pruning, irrigation, disease and pest management, harvest, record keeping. Organize and manage conversion of other greenhouses from spring greens, to summer fallow, to preparation for winter planting.
- Livestock Management – Oversee and manage pasture rotations, feed and water and housing for poultry, pigs and cows. Monitor livestock health and feed quality. Implement food safety guidelines. Meat inventory, sales, and marketing. Maintain records.
- Customer Communications, Events and Education Outreach – Maintain/update blog, facebook, website, potentially add other social media outlets. Help organize events or educational programs for CSA, schools or general community. Photo documentation and short videos are a possibility.
- Create Another Sphere of Influence – Depending on our applicants and group skills and interests, we may design an area of responsibility that overlaps with, or is a smaller section of, the above.
Assistant Managers work 5 days a week and rotating Saturdays.
Assistant managers must have at least two seasons of farm production experience. They will still be working each day in the fields so must be prepared for the physical demands of farming, be able to lift 50 pounds, work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions, and enjoy repetitive, even tedious, tasks. They must have a valid driver’s license. Assistant managers must also posses strong organizational skills, pay attention to details and efficiencies, and be able to work independently and as part of a team. As crew leaders, assistant managers will be guiding apprentices and volunteers. This position is best suited for a self-motivated person who wants to pursue a career in farming.
Please visit our website and read “Qualities for a successful job at Luna Bleu Farm” if you think you are interested in applying.
Time frame and Compensation:
Flexible start date,mid February- early April preferred. This position goes through the third week of November. Option available to work through the winter and second season.
We offer room, board and a weekly stipend starting at $300-400/week depending on experience and time of year. Other housing options can also be discussed. Compensation this position is : stipend / non-monetary compensation Application instructions