Maine Hunger Dialogue Coordinator Maine Campus Compact/UMaine Coop Ext
- Date Posted May 24, 2017
- Location Lewiston, ME
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job Type Other
In collaboration with the University of Maine Cooperative Extension we support the Maine Hunger Dialogue (MHD) program. It’s main objective is about taking action to end hunger in the state of Maine. The MHD program hosts a two day conference of high-energy discussions and activities that inspire higher education students and staff in Maine to get involved in the fight against local and global hunger. The goal of the Dialogue is to challenge Maine students from all areas of study to create a project that can be completed in one year that addresses a local community need around hunger through a mini-grant series. The MHD program is also completing a state-wide survey assessing food insecurity among college students and faculty. Job Description
This is a unique AmeriCorps VISTA position with Maine Campus Compact (MCC) and the University of Maine Cooperative Extension. MCC has team of 9 VISTAs throughout the state of Maine that increase college aspirations in Maine’s K-12 youth as well as coordinate Veteran's programming and address local food security issues. This position will be based at the Maine Campus Compact office in Lewiston but will involve travel throughout the state.
The Maine Hunger Dialogue Coordinator will raise awareness and mobilize college campuses throughout Maine to address hunger for low income individuals and to provide a platform for Maine students to actively work to address food insecurity on their campuses and in their communities. Recognizing the connection between hunger and low retention rates on college campuses, this VISTA position will also have a special emphasis placed on initiatives that address links between food insecurity, college access and low retention rates on Maine campuses. Specific duties include program outreach, recruitment of campus teams, technical assistance support to campus teams on issues related to food insecurity and college retention in Maine, much of which will relate to the planning and preparation of the Hunger Dialogue conference.
The VISTA will be instrumental in the successful oversight and implementation of many aspects of the Maine Hunger Dialogue program. VISTA responsibilities include:
- Overseeing outreach to a network of Maine campuses for the Hunger Dialogue Conference, including assisting with the preparation of materials and conducting outreach in person, by phone and email.
- Identifying student leaders and volunteers on each campus.
- Planning, preparing and conducting follow up to the Hunger Dialogue including arranging phone calls, panels and poster sessions and sending materials to registrants, etc.
- Providing ongoing technical assistance support to students and campuses addressing food insecurity for low-income individuals.
- Presenting to Maine campuses on hunger and related links to access and retention in higher education.
- Identify and develop resources, help analyze statewide survey data and prepare draft of related report.
- Participating with the MCC VISTA team in orientation, trainings, and complying with reporting requirements.
MCC VISTAs receive a stipend of roughly $12,000 over the course of the year. Assistance in locating housing in Lewiston will be provided. Upon successful completion, VISTAs can choose either an education award of $5,815 to use toward educational loans or future educational expenses or a cash stipend of $1,500. If choosing the education award, members can put any qualifying loans in forbearance during their term and any accrued interest will be paid off by AmeriCorps at the end of the term. Members receive a health benefit plan, are covered under workers’ compensation, and have numerous professional development opportunities. There will be a mandatory pre-service orientation July 31st-August 3rd; the official start date for MCC VISTAs will be Friday August 4, 2017.Compensation this position is PAID: stipend How to apply